Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge

Hey fellas, one quick question. Which truck has a better transmission? I'm a chevy guy though Chevy 2500 or F250, or Dodge 2500. Which is better for pulling enclosed trailer?
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 01-13-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I pull a 20 ft enclosed with both a f350 and a dodge 2500. Both diesels. Not a tranny problem with either one. I also plow with the 2500. I've pulled my enclosed with my 97 Chevy dump a few times. Now a days a truck is pretty much a truck. Ask a hundred random people and you'll get equal amount of lovers and haters for each brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I pull a 20 ft enclosed with both a f350 and a dodge 2500. Both diesels. Not a tranny problem with either one. I also plow with the 2500. I've pulled my enclosed with my 97 Chevy dump a few times. Now a days a truck is pretty much a truck. Ask a hundred random people and you'll get equal amount of lovers and haters for each brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yea, that's what I was thinking was going to happen. But I only looking for the bigger transmission.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's really luck of the draw. Any brand can be a lemon or have problems. Most of the time its the people driving and in charge of maintaining them. Buying new or a used one that you know the owner is best.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I"ve been in the transmission business for some 30 plus years and Chevy's by far are a superior transmission than the latter two. Yes they have a few mechanical problems but nothing compared to Ford's and Dodges. When contemplating going diesel,the Dodge Cummings with manual would be the way to go,IMO
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
I"ve been in the transmission business for some 30 plus years and Chevy's by far are a superior transmission than the latter two. Yes they have a few mechanical problems but nothing compared to Ford's and Dodges. When contemplating going diesel,the Dodge Cummings with manual would be the way to go,IMO
So why do I know 10 Chevy owners who have dropped their trannys by putting their truck from drive to reverse? I do know guys with other brands who screwed up their trannys, but most were doing dumb stuff. Like pull offs, mudding or slamming gears.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
not sure i can trust a man who has been in the transmission business for 30 years yet spells cummins with a G...

and although the manual transmissions didn't have near the problems the automatics did, i still wouldn't trust it...the torqshift is a great transmission, many say it's just as good as the allison if not better...it gets very tough to find a truck that has the best of all worlds, some have strong transmission years but bad engines, vice versa, manual vs automatic, reliability, MPG, etc...with my research 2006 seems to be a good year to find, pre emissions...find a lbz duramax with an allison, 5.9 cummins which i think might have been the last year they made it, or the 6.0 which had most of the kinks worked out of it (still the most unreliable out of the big 3 though) but has the torqshift...i personally like ford overall but probably wouldn't buy '04-'07

Last edited by jbell36; 01-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
not sure i can trust a man who has been in the transmission business for 30 years yet spells cummins with a G...

and although the manual transmissions didn't have near the problems the automatics did, i still wouldn't trust it...the torqshift is a great transmission, many say it's just as good as the allison if not better...it gets very tough to find a truck that has the best of all worlds, some have strong transmission years but bad engines, vice versa, manual vs automatic, reliability, MPG, etc...with my research 2006 seems to be a good year to find, pre emissions...find a lbz duramax with an allison, 5.9 cummins which i think might have been the last year they made it, or the 6.0 which had most of the kinks worked out of it (still the most unreliable out of the big 3 though) but has the torqshift...i personally like ford overall but probably wouldn't buy '04-'07
What do you think about 2500 Chevy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
So why do I know 10 Chevy owners who have dropped their trannys by putting their truck from drive to reverse? I do know guys with other brands who screwed up their trannys, but most were doing dumb stuff. Like pull offs, mudding or slamming gears.
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you even bother to read my post? I said they had a FEW mechanical problems and with the L60E it's prone to breaking the Sun Shell where the pinion drive gear rides, and needs to be replaced with either a hardened sun gear shell or replaced with Beast Shell. Despite this one prone failure,the Chevy is still a overall superior automatic transmission than Fords and Dodges.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

first things first, how much are you trying to spend and do you have an idea of what year you want? and i guess secondly are you even looking at a diesel? i just jumped to conclusions and figured u were

personally, if i were you i would buy a 2006 or 2007 classic chevy duramax paired with the allison...i remember looking at this exact truck when i was purchasing in 2010 and simply couldn't find any that hadn't been sold yet...i liked the chevy better because it looked better than the GMC, i thought the GMC was ugly although there isn't much difference other than that...since you like chevy already this is what i would do, however i do like the looks of the 2007.5 and newer better but i would only go that route if you bought a gas engine...

for what it's worth, i ended up with a 2008 super duty power stroke...absolutely no regrets, now that i have all the emissions deleted