Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Crew leader bonus

How many of you do this? Quarterly or yearly?

Basing it on production, quality, call backs, care of equipment, Etc.

I'm trying to decide whether an average wage and good bonus is better than small bonus and great wage.

I'm in an area where 9-10/hr is a trimming guy and 12-13/hr is a crew leader.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe even put him on a salary to encourage a faster pace if quality can stay high
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

One week's pay at the end of the year as a holiday bonus. Sometimes I slip in a little cash during the season if it was a good week.

Ford
Exmark-Gravely
Stihl-Redmax
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I give my crew leader a yearly bonus and beyond that anything extra he picks up I give him 10%. Keeps them from doing the neighbors yard and keeping the cash.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to do a bonus system, you have to have set controls so that both quality and efficiency are reached. For example, if you have a quality/no-complain bonus, you run the risk of dealing with a lower gross profit margin. And vice-versa: if you have a gross profit/man-hour bonus, you run the risk of customer complaints.

Plus there needs to be some sort of standard process...any arbitrary "well, it looks pretty good today" isn't going to cut it. Another crew leader and myself developed a program for my old employer, which was never put into place unfortunately. Basically there's a monthly total, say $200. A spreadsheet for each property is filled out by a field supervisor/manager, etc. Things like going over man-hours, missed trimming, ruts, missed blowing, bad weeds, etc, each account for a certain dollar amount deduction.

However, I think it's different for commercial vs residential. Where I used to work, we had 5 all commercial crews. Some properties would take 2 crews all day, and the smaller properties would still only allow a max of 10 properties per day. So the amount of checking is completely different. Checking on over 100 residential houses weekly or bi-weekly would be a waste of money because you'd be paying a field manager to basically follow your crews around. But with 5 crews doing less then 50 properties per week, although they're larger, it's still feasible for 1 guy to go around and check everything at least 2-3 times per month.

Just my two cents.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

1-2 dollars per hour extra based on attendance, efficiency, performance and equipment (ie the crew looking after things and bringing me equipment in the same condition it goes out in - locking things up so they are not stolen and so on). Payable at the end of the season. Usually works out to somewhere around a weeks pay.
Posted via Mobile Device