Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-05-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Deere WH48 Review

I really enjoy reading other member reviews on Lawnsite so I thought I would throw up my own. I am not much of a writer so I hope all of this makes sense. I picked up the Deere wh48 from my dealer last Saturday. I feel like I got a pretty good deal on it, I am not going to share the exact price but it was under MSRP. (MSRP is somewhere around 7k) I have been waiting for Deere to come up with a good walk behind and I was so excited to hear that Deere had a new line of Walks coming out last year when I was at the Deere factory tour. I have been a die hard Exmark fan for years, but when I tried out the new Deere z900 I was sold on Deere commercial equipment. (I think the z900 is the best on ZTR on the market) I say that because I want you to know that I have operated a lot of brands of equipment (Scag, Exmark, Lesco, Great Dane, Bunton, Ferris, and Cub Cadet) and I am speaking from experience when I write this review. I realize that many people say that this mower is just a rebranded Gravely, but I have heard that there are quite a few significant differences but I really don’t know enough about that to speak to it. I would like to see someone from Deere explain the major differences. So let’s get to the Pros and Cons.

PROS:
• Finally a good walk behind that’s painted Green and Yellow
• A competitive price point
• Great cut quality
• Great machine on Hills
• Very Maneuverable and Nimble
• The deck really floats well (some floating deck mowers still scalp way more than they should)
• No pistol grip controls
• The controls height is adjustable, makes it very nice for me because I am a big guy. This is the only mower I have seen that you can do that with.
• The 20 hp Kawasaki has plenty of power mowing thick grass and hauling my fat butt around.
• The grease points are easily accessible
• I don’t plan on having to work on this thing since its under warranty the next two years but if I do everything seems to be pretty out in the open and accessible. [*]lays a decent stripe, espically with the Velke

Cons:
• There are not many aftermarket accessories available, and the ones that are available are outrageous. (Word to the wise Deere is offering a Velke for the mower that is painted Green and Yellow for around $500.00. I picked up a regular black Velke online for around $300.00. The mower already had pre drilled holes for it which made it very easy to install.) I would like for them to offer a striping kit, OCDC, and other similar accessories.
• The hydros are very touchy and that takes awhile to get used too (the same is true on my Deere stander, but you get used to it and then when you operate other mowers there controls seem weak
• Coming from an Exmark the controls take some getting used too however everyday I am getting more used to the mower.
• There seem to be a lot of wires exposed around the fuel pump, not sure if I like that, seems like it could present a problem in the future. (see pic)
• Wish the mower had the 7 Iron deck, however I am not in anyway disappointed in the deck how it is.

Overall I am really impressed with this machine. The mower was pretty awkward at first but I am getting more used to it everyday, and the mower grows on me more and more everyday. I would definitely recommend this mower to my friends.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice looking mower. How do you like your JD stander?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm glad to see a review of a new JD walk behind and that you do like it.

I thought about buying a new JD walk behind but chose a new JD quik trak because I really wanted to stay with the 7iron decks.

Keep us updated on how the mower performs and cuts as the grass starts to get thicker later in the spring.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys. I really like the stander as well. I bought it used and got a great deal on it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice review, I ordered a WH36A last week to go with my Z925A. I am glad to see some nice words about these walk behinds, I haven't been able to find much info about them. If it is half as good as my Z, I'll be happy.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

lawnangel, I sent you a pm asking about some more info on the WH48. Magilla, how do you like the control handles on the 36?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Member

is that the same as a Gravely WB
Old 06-08-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mower. I want to see pictures how it cuts.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hows it doing?? Anyone else demo or buy one of these new walks yet???
Posted via Mobile Device