Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl Easy to Start

This is probably a stupid question to ask but I just bought a Stihl Ms 180 C chainsaw today with the easy to start system. I read the starting procedure in the manual 3 times, tried it, but it still won't start. Manual says to pull the cord smoothly and slowly. The engine makes a sound, but doesn't quite "start". Am I missing a step? I would really like to know. Thank you for your help in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Switch in a position other than off? Choke, half-choke, idle
Chain brake on?
Spark plug properly installed.
Proper fuel mix.
Primed.

Easy to start can be a little misleading sometimes.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I should also ask what the sound is. Motor turning over, motor firing like it's running but stalling out, some other sound.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

My Stihl dealer won't let anything new leave his premises without fueling and starting it! Except for gifts and such. This way it gets the proper mixture of fuel and they can adjust the fuel mixture screws if necessary.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WenzelOSLLC View Post
Switch in a position other than off? Choke, half-choke, idle
Chain brake on?
Spark plug properly installed.
Proper fuel mix.
Primed.

Easy to start can be a little misleading sometimes.
Chain break is on, proper fuel mix fueled by dealer, spark plug as far as I know installed correctly. I cannot find a primer bulb, and I think that's the problem. But the manual never mentions priming it, or says where the primer bulb is located. The engine sound is the engine turning over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
My Stihl dealer won't let anything new leave his premises without fueling and starting it! Except for gifts and such. This way it gets the proper mixture of fuel and they can adjust the fuel mixture screws if necessary.
Now that I think about it, I should have asked him to do that. He started my BR 600 for me when I bought from him, but not this one. They did fuel it up for me though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
Exactly. Something like this is pretty difficult to diagnose without being hands-on. Anything provided here is a shot in the dark guess.

Is a trip to the dealer difficult? That should have you sorted out in a couple of minutes.

Is your machine even an ez2start model? I find all Stihl machines are easy to start, but if you miss a step in the starting procedure, they can be impossible to start.

If it is an ez2start model, a slow pull on the cord will wind up a spring, and when you reach the end, the spring releases and kicks the machine over. Is that how it feels?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/easy2start/
Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Exactly. Something like this is pretty difficult to diagnose without being hands-on. Anything provided here is a shot in the dark guess.

Is a trip to the dealer difficult? That should have you sorted out in a couple of minutes.

Is your machine even an ez2start model? I find all Stihl machines are easy to start, but if you miss a step in the starting procedure, they can be impossible to start.

If it is an ez2start model, a slow pull on the cord will wind up a spring, and when you reach the end, the spring releases and kicks the machine over. Is that how it feels?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/easy2start/
Ok, I got it to start. I had re-adjust the tension, and pull more times.

I still have more questions about the saw though.
1. Does the chain turn by pulling the chain break back or by using the throttle?
2. It's seems like it's running at high revs and giving off some smoke. Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I am a novice to the chain saw, so I am trying to figure everything out and not hurt myself in the process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The chain break is a safety mechanism to stop the chain in the event of a kickback.

There is a clutch that disengages at idle speed which stops the chain (in theory, but don't count your safety on that alone). Once you throttle, the clutch engages, and chain starts. You adjust the idle so that the engine is still running, but the chain stops. Too low an idle and it stalls. To high, and the chain doesn't stop.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
The chain break is a safety mechanism to stop the chain in the event of a kickback.

There is a clutch that disengages at idle speed which stops the chain (in theory, but don't count your safety on that alone). Once you throttle, the clutch engages, and chain starts. You adjust the idle so that the engine is still running, but the chain stops. Too low an idle and it stalls. To high, and the chain doesn't stop.
Thanks for your help. I ended up taking it to the dealer, and I found out the idler had to be re-adjusted, now it runs fine.
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362