Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 326
Stihl Easy to Start

This is probably a stupid question to ask but I just bought a Stihl Ms 180 C chainsaw today with the easy to start system. I read the starting procedure in the manual 3 times, tried it, but it still won't start. Manual says to pull the cord smoothly and slowly. The engine makes a sound, but doesn't quite "start". Am I missing a step? I would really like to know. Thank you for your help in advance.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:22 PM
WenzelOSLLC WenzelOSLLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maplewood, MN
Posts: 330
Switch in a position other than off? Choke, half-choke, idle
Chain brake on?
Spark plug properly installed.
Proper fuel mix.
Primed.

Easy to start can be a little misleading sometimes.
__________________
www.WenzelOS.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2014, 11:24 PM
WenzelOSLLC WenzelOSLLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Maplewood, MN
Posts: 330
I should also ask what the sound is. Motor turning over, motor firing like it's running but stalling out, some other sound.
__________________
www.WenzelOS.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 AM
Tuttled Tuttled is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon, Sask Canada
Posts: 135
My Stihl dealer won't let anything new leave his premises without fueling and starting it! Except for gifts and such. This way it gets the proper mixture of fuel and they can adjust the fuel mixture screws if necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenzelOSLLC View Post
Switch in a position other than off? Choke, half-choke, idle
Chain brake on?
Spark plug properly installed.
Proper fuel mix.
Primed.

Easy to start can be a little misleading sometimes.
Chain break is on, proper fuel mix fueled by dealer, spark plug as far as I know installed correctly. I cannot find a primer bulb, and I think that's the problem. But the manual never mentions priming it, or says where the primer bulb is located. The engine sound is the engine turning over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
My Stihl dealer won't let anything new leave his premises without fueling and starting it! Except for gifts and such. This way it gets the proper mixture of fuel and they can adjust the fuel mixture screws if necessary.
Now that I think about it, I should have asked him to do that. He started my BR 600 for me when I bought from him, but not this one. They did fuel it up for me though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2014, 08:03 AM
rlitman rlitman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
My Stihl dealer won't let anything new leave his premises without fueling and starting it! Except for gifts and such. This way it gets the proper mixture of fuel and they can adjust the fuel mixture screws if necessary.
Exactly. Something like this is pretty difficult to diagnose without being hands-on. Anything provided here is a shot in the dark guess.

Is a trip to the dealer difficult? That should have you sorted out in a couple of minutes.

Is your machine even an ez2start model? I find all Stihl machines are easy to start, but if you miss a step in the starting procedure, they can be impossible to start.

If it is an ez2start model, a slow pull on the cord will wind up a spring, and when you reach the end, the spring releases and kicks the machine over. Is that how it feels?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/easy2start/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Exactly. Something like this is pretty difficult to diagnose without being hands-on. Anything provided here is a shot in the dark guess.

Is a trip to the dealer difficult? That should have you sorted out in a couple of minutes.

Is your machine even an ez2start model? I find all Stihl machines are easy to start, but if you miss a step in the starting procedure, they can be impossible to start.

If it is an ez2start model, a slow pull on the cord will wind up a spring, and when you reach the end, the spring releases and kicks the machine over. Is that how it feels?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/technology/easy2start/
Ok, I got it to start. I had re-adjust the tension, and pull more times.

I still have more questions about the saw though.
1. Does the chain turn by pulling the chain break back or by using the throttle?
2. It's seems like it's running at high revs and giving off some smoke. Anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks a lot for your help guys, I am a novice to the chain saw, so I am trying to figure everything out and not hurt myself in the process.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
rlitman rlitman is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 979
The chain break is a safety mechanism to stop the chain in the event of a kickback.

There is a clutch that disengages at idle speed which stops the chain (in theory, but don't count your safety on that alone). Once you throttle, the clutch engages, and chain starts. You adjust the idle so that the engine is still running, but the chain stops. Too low an idle and it stalls. To high, and the chain doesn't stop.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-25-2014, 03:55 PM
Townhouse Yards's Avatar
Townhouse Yards Townhouse Yards is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
The chain break is a safety mechanism to stop the chain in the event of a kickback.

There is a clutch that disengages at idle speed which stops the chain (in theory, but don't count your safety on that alone). Once you throttle, the clutch engages, and chain starts. You adjust the idle so that the engine is still running, but the chain stops. Too low an idle and it stalls. To high, and the chain doesn't stop.
Thanks for your help. I ended up taking it to the dealer, and I found out the idler had to be re-adjusted, now it runs fine.
__________________
18 Years old
2005 Ford Ranger V6 4WD
Toro 20' Gas Push Mower
Toro Gas Straight Shaft Trimmer
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl HSE 60 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 180 C Chainsaw
Toro Corded Electric Blower/Shredder
Hand tools, gas can, wheel barrow

My 2014 picture thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=423362
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:18 PM.

Page generated in 0.09872 seconds with 9 queries