Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Grasshopper or Ferris?

Hope everyone's winter is good! Right now I am writing up a proposal for a local small business grant that I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get. I could receive anywhere from $1000-$10,000. Being relatively new, and having been torn up pretty bad by last year's drought, I am looking at using the money to put a down payment on a new mower in the entry-commercial level 52"-60" range, total cost somewhere around $10,000. I am really due for a new mower, and the only two brands sold locally are Grasshopper and Ferris. I am needing help deciding which to choose. They both have similar finance options and the service is good at both places, so that's all a toss-up. The Ferris dealer has just gained his dealership and I will/may be ordering mine with his first shipment ever here in a few weeks, so I don't have much to go by on them except that suspension just sounds dreamy... I do know that Grasshopper is a proven machine though.

So I'm looking at the Ferris IS2000Z, and the Grasshopper 227 with added Duraflex Suspension forks. Does anyone have experience with both of these machines? Or both brands at least?

If you could please give me any comparative experience you have with the two, or just good/bad experience with either individually? And if you know of best engine options, maybe? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never seen a hopper, but I did get to drive around an IS2000Z at the dealer open house a while back and it was dreamy. The machine is pretty beefey and comfy as all get out. Cant say much for cut as i didnt get to do any

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-13-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I've heard that the new(ish) ICD deck blew the old Ferris deck out of the water. I like to hear that, because you'll hear things from people all day about how they think their favorite name's deck cuts better than the rest, but to me when someone says that a company blew itself out of the water, that's a really objective, very good sign! At least they had experience with a control to go by.