Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Running a 12volt pump off my truck

I picked up a new 12volt sprayer system to use on the job site. It comes with those little alligator clips to hook to the battery but...I was wondering if there is a better way. I'm thinking about getting a deep cycle battery to use with the sprayer, but I need a way to keep it charged. The trailer plug on my truck ('04 Chevy k2500) has the center pin labeled as "aux power". Can I make up a plug that connects, only to that center pin, run that to the d/c battery and charge it that way while I run the truck? I'm pretty sure that is how the battery on my dump trailer charges. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStew View Post
I picked up a new 12volt sprayer system to use on the job site. It comes with those little alligator clips to hook to the battery but...I was wondering if there is a better way. I'm thinking about getting a deep cycle battery to use with the sprayer, but I need a way to keep it charged. The trailer plug on my truck ('04 Chevy k2500) has the center pin labeled as "aux power". Can I make up a plug that connects, only to that center pin, run that to the d/c battery and charge it that way while I run the truck? I'm pretty sure that is how the battery on my dump trailer charges. Any thoughts?
You also have to make a connection to a ground. Either thru the plug or a direct ground to the frame of the truck. Making it thru the plug would make it easier to remove if you wanted to use on another vehicle.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the plan was to run power & ground from the truck plug to the battery to the pump.

Another question. How can I figure out how long the battery will run the pump before completely discharging?

The pump is 12v 7.0amps and the battery will most likely be an optima yellow top deep cycle.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our spray truck has run 12V Flowjet pumps since 2001. Never had much problem with it BUT the '96 K2500 is equipped with 2 1100 CCA batteries because it is a diesel. It is a pressure switched pump so it will stop when pressure builds up in the line and start when it drops again. We run ours through a lighted master switch in the cab on the dash that indicates that it is powered up or not. It can run for 25 minutes with the truck power shut off. The two wire plugs Male/female are the most convenient way to use the pumps for good connections. What is the CCA of the battery?
Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CCA is Cold Cranking Amps, a measure of the max current the battery will flow at a cold temp, like when starting. This is like the "top speed" of the battery.

You are more concerned with a measure of how much current over time the battery will flow. (More of a "mileage" or "range" measurement) This measurement is represented by the AH rating, for AMP HOURS, or how many amps for how many hours. A 100 AH battery, for example, could supply 10 amps for 10 hours, or 5 amps for 20 hours, etc. A 7 AH battery could only supply 7 amps for 1 hour, or 1 A for 7 hours, and so on.

Not every battery I've seen has an AH rating clearly marked but I would think Optima would put that info on the battery or at least where you could find out from the retailer.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Found this on the Optima site for a D34 sized yellow top:

http://www.optimabatteries.com/_medi..._78_082104.pdf

Open Circuit Voltage (fully charged): 13.1 volts
Internal Resistance (fully charged): 0.0028 ohms
Capacity: 55 Ah (C/20)
Reserve Capacity: BCI: 120 minutes
(25 amp discharge, 80°F (26.7°C), to 10.5 volts cut-off)

Here's a decent explanation of Ah and Reserve Capacity:

http://books.google.com/books?id=U4T...um=4&ct=result
Old 07-30-2013, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to revive this thread. I'm purchasing a lesco skid with a 12v pump and was wondering if anybody makes a harness that can plug into my trucks system some how with a plug or hardwired. I don't want to use the trailer BC i park with my flashers on my trailer a lot and will have it hooked up most of the time
Old 08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How big a pump will it be? How many amps will it be pulling?

You can get a 2 pin harness like one of these. Wire one to a hot positive and the ground to the body. Then the other end of the plug for the sprayer. If the draw is higher a quick connect on winches.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 08-02-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I ended up getting a gas powered. Thanks anyways