Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fescue and weeds

I did a renovation last august. I killed all vegetation in my lawn, core aerated, and seeded with lesco transition blend. I applied no lime as per Virginia Coop soil test and fertilized with recommended fertilizer. The lawn looked great. I now have about 40 percent broadleaved weeds in the backyard, front yard looks more like 5 percent. I attribute this to either a poorly drained back yard and also a small field where some power lines run adjacent to property. The wood line is a little more open in the back yard between the yard and the power lines. So, I bought spectracide weed stop and crabgrass pre m, granular. I have not applied it yet due to current rain. But I am now questioning was this the right thing to buy? I got it from home depot, which makes me wonder MORE. HAHA. There is a JDL near me, maybe I should be dabbling with something from there? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The pre-m will stop new weeds from germinating. It will do nothing for the ones that are already there. I would spray it with a broad leaf weed killer. You can use a weed and feed, but make sure he pre-m you have does not also have fertilizer in it. I prefer a liquid spray, but if you are not set up to do that, go with the granular weed killer. Do NOT use round up or anything containing glyphosate. This will kill everything, including the grass.

You might be better off calling a pro in (if you're not one yourself) to just spray the weeds for you
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fescue and weeds

Weed b gone max
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A granular crabgrass control with fertilizer, followed by a liquid weed control should work fine. Weeds are probably chickweed or other winter annuals. Typical when soil is worked up. Arise in the fall, bloom in spring, drop seed and die when weather gets above 85.
However, crabgrass control should be applied before the soil temp hits 55 or the air temp hits 80.
Could be you are too late.
Wait--this shows you are OK.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ric...weather/331252