Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When to trim crape myrtle trees?

Usually I trim crape myrtle trees at the end of Feb or early March. With the temp being warmer when will be a good time to trim them?
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd just stay on your normal schedule.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

At this rate they will be blooming in early March I've already done all of mine. I've never seen a crepe myrtle damaged by cutting it in December rather than two months later.

I don't like doing them at all, but customers usually demand it. I try to convince them that the tree is just going to waste all that time putting out new growth. But they seem hell bent on the hat rack look in the winter.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When to trim crape myrtle trees?

We've done all our customers already.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you really knew what you were doing. YOu would find out after several search attempts that its called "CREPE MURDER"
There are around 122 different varieties of crepes. With each grow a different size shape and color.
Now a good landscaper, like myself, will ask the customer what their intentions are when choosing a crepe.
Now if you are located north and more central in florida you will have a larger variety to choose from. Tampa on south we have roughly about only 6-8 choose from.
I too did see a damage crepe because the trimmed it back to far and too soon.
They trimmed it in early december and that Christmas we that year we had the 13 day hard freeze. I saw plenty crepes with new growth had to be retrimmed back twice.
Now they didnt come back as nice that year. But mine looked great as I wait till the last minute to do the "CREPE MURDER".
buT I educate to my customers instead of letting them dictate to me kinda like our baffoon obummer. oh obummer supporters how do you like the increase in taxes and gas price?
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

I have done my customers already and I only trim from the canopy down... Usually just trim small branches that look out of shape.. Otherwise I do not crape murder and crape myrtles..
Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
If you really knew what you were doing. YOu would find out after several search attempts that its called "CREPE MURDER"
There are around 122 different varieties of crepes. With each grow a different size shape and color.
Now a good landscaper, like myself, will ask the customer what their intentions are when choosing a crepe.
Now if you are located north and more central in florida you will have a larger variety to choose from. Tampa on south we have roughly about only 6-8 choose from.
They trimmed it in early december and that Christmas we that year we had the 13 day hard freeze. I saw plenty crepes with new growth had to be retrimmed back twice.
Now they didnt come back as nice that year. But mine looked great as I wait till the last minute to do the "CREPE MURDER".
buT I educate to my customers instead of letting them dictate to me kinda like our baffoon obummer. oh obummer supporters how do you like the increase in taxes and gas price?
Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back. With three less statements in that response you would a lot less arrogant
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamadooski View Post
Crepe Murderers!!!!