Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, you just got done with High School...

... My son has been having a hard time deciding what he should be doing after he graduates high school. He says that he want to start a company of his own,but I am always wondering how good of an idea it is. He sure does like to do all the work we do, and I'm not really worried about his work or work ethic, I just don't want him working hard the rest of his life. Maybe you guys could help him out with some pros and cons.

Should he be going to college or jumping right into it? Thanks for the help guys.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Awfully hard to advise someone of that age what to do for a living. My youngest son graduated in May with an engineering degree. $50,000 for this degree not including living expenses. There is absolutely no engineering jobs near us that don't require a minimum of five years experience. He is currently working with me and wants to take over the company. He is still searching for a job in his field but has no desire to leave this area. I am going to give him a year to figure out what he really wants and if it is my company, it's his. My only advise to your son is if he attends college make sure he can find a job in that field or be prepared to relocate.

Last edited by RussellB; 01-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i was in the same position as he is in. I graduated high school in the spring of 2012 and enrolled at The Ohio State University, I still work the same if not more. I figure work will be there a lot longer than the opportunity for a higher education. I found that online classes are essential to opening up a schedule to work around. PM if he'd like to talk more........Go Bucks
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I jumped right into it, but i am also lucky enough to have a mom who is a cap and helps me with the business aspect of it. I have a buddy who started same time as me but goes to school part time for business. I am growing much faster then him but when he gets done he will have the knowledge to grow quickly and efficiently. It depends on the person Imho. School was never for me i kept straight A's simply for sports and lower insurance but hated every single minute of it.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll let him do some typing here... Well I really don't enjoy school at all, and I really enjoy landscaping. I also work at the local Lumberyard and really don't enjoy working there. I like the idea of being my own boss and somewhat having my own hours. I also like the fact that when you work for yourself, you can actually see the where your hard work imput equals a greater pay output. Other than landscaping I don't really know what else I would want to do. Everybody's asking what I want to do with my life and landscaping seems to be the only answer I can come up with. Thanks guys

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a good time to give it a shot. You do t have a family or a house payment counting on you as far as we know try it now while your responsibilities are at a minimum.
00 chevy 3500 dump
03 dodge dakota
4 ferris wb
1 ferris ztr
2 exmark ztr
lesco spreader sprayer stand on
case 1845
western plows
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I went to college to get my business degree. Graduated from Penn State University with a degree in Marketing. Decided against going after a normal office job and came home to the family business. I'm glad I went and got my degree. It's helped our company grow over the past year by nearly 35 percent. A lot of that was because of some of the new things that I implemented that I learned from classes at school. Now, it wasn't all me, I have an excellent boss and my brother works with us too. But it's nice to have my own side of the business that I can use my degree for. I feel like that gives our company an advantage. For 2013 we are looking to grow by 40-50 percent again.

So, to answer your question, a degree is a great thing and is something you have the rest of your life that no one can take away from you. I'd say he should give college a shot, as long as its affordable. Even if he stays close to home and went to school and did stuff with the business as well, it will help in the long run. Especially if you plan on growing your business on a larger scale one day. Things he would learn in business school could give him an advantage in the future. College is getting extremely expensive, thats the only downside. Hope this helps!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm already feeling the college squeeze, got a Freshman daughter in it now. It won't hinder wether he can go to college, but he doesn't like school as it is, and seeing the kind of debt his sister is going to be in should help him with the decision. I try and help them all I can but I've about maxed out the finances right now, or so my wife tells me

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
... My son has been having a hard time deciding what he should be doing after he graduates high school. He says that he want to start a company of his own,but I am always wondering how good of an idea it is. He sure does like to do all the work we do, and I'm not really worried about his work or work ethic, I just don't want him working hard the rest of his life. Maybe you guys could help him out with some pros and cons.

Should he be going to college or jumping right into it? Thanks for the help guys.
lawncare isn't hard work. working in an auto factory is. (i did it for 6 years) he needs to start right away while he's young. this will give him several years to get on his feet. you don't go straight to the top in your first year of business. it takes several years to get things off the ground and running smoothly. this way if he fails he's still young enough to go to college. he should try his own business from 18-25 and see how it goes. if it doesn't work out he can go to college then and have a degree before he's 30. i went to college and had bad jobs and all and just started lawncare at 35. it's much easier to do it the other way around trust me. if i would have started at 18 i'd be a millionaire by now lol.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
lawncare isn't hard work. working in an auto factory is. (i did it for 6 years) he needs to start right away while he's young. this will give him several years to get on his feet. you don't go straight to the top in your first year of business. it takes several years to get things off the ground and running smoothly. this way if he fails he's still young enough to go to college. he should try his own business from 18-25 and see how it goes. if it doesn't work out he can go to college then and have a degree before he's 30. i went to college and had bad jobs and all and just started lawncare at 35. it's much easier to do it the other way around trust me. if i would have started at 18 i'd be a millionaire by now lol.
Thanks for the advice, Ill have him read all these when he gets back from his friends house.

PlowSite-SnowFakers