Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

EXMARK X Series 21" not starting

I have a Exmark 21" push mower that I have had for about 2 years. The mower has never given me any problems before, but I went to get it started and make sure everything was working so I could start on my yard this week. The mower will not start. It will fire and try to start but won't actually start or run. Any ideas would be great. I have changed the fuel, spark plug is in good shape, filter is clean. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you leave fuel in it all winter?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I did like an idiot…. completely forgot about emptying in, I was in paramedic class and busy…… I was wondering if that was the problem…. what do i need to do to fix it?
At the end of last year I remembered that when I would shut it off it was hard to start back even after just 4-5 minutes….
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually just take the carb apart and get a rebuild kit for them. That usually fixes it. Words of advise, use non ethanol fuel and if it's going to sit for awhile like over winter, the least you could do would be turn the fuel valve off and let the mower run itself out of fuel. That way there isn't any fuel sitting in the carb for months. Ethanol is really bad for small engines with carbs. You could try some sea foam or carb cleaner but there are some very small tunnels/passages in these carbs that can get clogged up. I have learned the hard way to use only non ethanol fuel in every piece of equipment and some type of fuel preservative like stabil etc. they are awesome mowers, I bought one last year and love it. If you take care of it and change the oil, use good fuel, keep it clean, it should last you a long time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by exmarkking; 03-25-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Awesome, Thanks for the advice. Ill give it a shot and go from there. Hopefully it works….. Any other ideas if that doesn't?
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The only other option would be buy a carb. Just make sure you check everything else first...spark plug, air filter, safety shut off switch. Use process of elimination to find the problem but more than likely knowing you left fuel in it all winter I bet it's the carb. You can pull the spark plug out and ground it on the engine to see if it's getting spark. Just because it has a good plug, doesn't mean for sure it's sparking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Throttle cable not properly engaging?? I would doubt it, but it's a possibility.