Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

$3k-4k Purchase Options? Timecutter/Raptor/Alpha/HuskyRZ/Used?

Hi,

Long time lurker & reader, I need some advice.

We recently picked up a few larger contracts this year, and I believe it's time to invest in a larger machine, we currently run 2xtimemasters & lawnboy.

I have one property at 2 acres that I sub out for $125 per cut, twice monthly. I have 5 other properties that would probably save about 20 minutes each, using a good Zero Turn.

I've estimated Revenue generation is roughly $100 per week. Assuming I want a 2 year payback (and that's about all I can expect with a machine like this), I have about $4K to spend, and I can now pursue larger contracts.

Usage would be about 10 hours or less, per week.
Anyway, locally it seems like my options are (CDN$):

New:
Timecutter ss5000: $3399
Raptor 52: $3,820
Big Dog Alpha 52: $3,820
Husky RZ5424: $3,499

Used:
2009 Toro Grandstand 52": 1000 hours. $2900
(not sure if it's still available, advertisement is a week old)

I've scoured the used market, up down and sideways, there's just very little to be had.

Any advice would be appreciated, I've heard concerns about the Hustler & Husky QOC, and the durability of the Residential Timecutter, but I don't know much about the Alpha.

Thanks,

Blair
Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I had that exact same husky. I hated it after 20 to 30 hours of use. It all around sucked! It was slow, it cut like crap leaving tons of stuff standing even with sharp blades and the right pitch. I had to AT LEAST double cut and often triple cut to make yards look remotely good. I'm not talking a blade or two of grass standing I'm talking about half the grass standing like it just randomly cuts no matter how fast you go. Somehow it managed to clup up even with cutting that little bit of grass

On top of that it was slow and did terrible on hills
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC32 View Post
I had that exact same husky. I hated it after 20 to 30 hours of use. It all around sucked! It was slow, it cut like crap leaving tons of stuff standing even with sharp blades and the right pitch. I had to AT LEAST double cut and often triple cut to make yards look remotely good. I'm not talking a blade or two of grass standing I'm talking about half the grass standing like it just randomly cuts no matter how fast you go. Somehow it managed to clup up even with cutting that little bit of grass

On top of that it was slow and did terrible on hills
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking at making a purchase before next Monday.

I did a little research and it appeared that No One was happy with the RZ models, although others loved the QOC Pro PZ series, which is out of my price range. I felt I had to include it in the list, as all my options have warts. I'll cross it off though.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Member

If you're expecting about 10 hours of mowing a week then you should at least get an entry level commercial mower. Those home owner mowers are barely made to cut that in a month maybe even 2. In the long run I think you would be kicking yourself if you got a residential mower.

Higher durability, better cut and better over all is worth the the little extra money not to mention most can be had with 0% financing for 48 months.

Snapperpro is something you might want to check out. That's gonna be your biggest bang for the buck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMC32 View Post
If you're expecting about 10 hours of mowing a week then you should at least get an entry level commercial mower. Those home owner mowers are barely made to cut that in a month maybe even 2. In the long run I think you would be kicking yourself if you got a residential mower.

Higher durability, better cut and better over all is worth the the little extra money not to mention most can be had with 0% financing for 48 months.

Snapperpro is something you might want to check out. That's gonna be your biggest bang for the buck
Posted via Mobile Device
10 hours is more like "A 10 hour workday per week". Probably only 4-5 hours on the machine, Max. And if I expand and generate revenue to support a mid-range commercial, then I'm happy to resell the machine with 100 hours on it, for 70% of the cost. It will have generated minimum $2,000 in income, so even if I lose $1,000 on the sale, and have to take it to the shop once, I'm still ahead of the game.

I'm looking at a snapper pro from a local dealer, waiting to hear back on the pricing.

There are two issues with the 0% financing:
- In Canada, almost none of the manufacturer finance options are available. I've spoken directly with Toro, and of all 5 dealers I've called, only one will offer a manufacturer finance, and that's for a Cub Cadet!
- We're a new company, really only the second year doing this seriously, and a lot of it was off book last year, so I don't expect the financing to be an easy approval...

Again I completely appreciate the options, and I would LOVE to finance 10k grandstand or something of the like, but I don't think the higher priced options are part of the discussion for me yet.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quick Update:

There's a 2009 Grandstand 1030 hours for $2900 and a 2012 Grandstand 1100 hours for $4100 available.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Also, it Appears that the Snapper 200z is available around $3300. But stamped deck as well.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

None of those are a good deal. You would be better off driving to the states and buying one. I'm telling you now, if you buy one on your list your going to face a lot of frustration in the future. Believe it or not, I promise. I'd rather make a little "vacation" drive then face all the frustration with machine issues.

Great deal on an Exmark only 3 hours from you, only 300 hours. Will last you years to come.

https://flint.craigslist.org/grd/5012349368.html

This is a GREAT deal only 1 hour from you. Ferris Evolution, only 155 hours.

http://porthuron.craigslist.org/grd/5029130777.html
Old 05-20-2015, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks!

I don't even use Craiglist up here anymore, Kijiji has pretty much replaced it, but clearly I should be!

I'll check both those out.

EDIT: the Dollar difference adds about $1000 to the price, but that evo does look great, even then
Old 05-20-2015, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Not sure what the price would be in Canada. But I have been pricing the Snapper Pro s50 around here and they retail at $4799 with the 48 inch deck and the Briggs engine. And one dealer said they will give it to me for like $4400 I believe? That's pretty close to your price range and we are talking an entry level commercial machine with the icd deck, which gets great reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device