Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwilamosky View Post
i agree with everyone saying that prices are high on all machines, but you have to look at it as an investment. if you're running it 5+ days a week all season, you're going to make money. mowers will last years and thousands of hours if they are properly maintained. if you can't afford the top dollar mowers, then you don't have enough properties, it's that simple. i look at anything i purchase that is expensive and I make sure that i will be able to utilize it to its full potential and have it make me money. just my .02
This is one of the worst ways to looks at PPE (Plant, property & equipment). You sound like you just got taken....perhaps care salesman style

Price = cost+profit....

Cost = materials+labor+overhead

Profit = well this one has the juice here

Just because you use something to make $$$ doesn't allow for price gauging or over pricing your product although it does happen because people like yourself allow it to happen.

I'm not being mean but idiots like you kill me. Plain and simple. Sorry to put it like that.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 01-19-2013, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
This is one of the worst ways to looks at PPE (Plant, property & equipment). You sound like you just got taken....perhaps care salesman style

Price = cost+profit....

Cost = materials+labor+overhead

Profit = well this one has the juice here

Just because you use something to make $$$ doesn't allow for price gauging or over pricing your product although it does happen because people like yourself allow it to happen.

I'm not being mean but idiots like you kill me. Plain and simple. Sorry to put it like that.

if you look at my equipment do you see any exmark, scag, walker mowers on there? no, i use snapper and bobcat. why? because they provide an end result that is the same as the high price mowers. so how am i allowing it to happen? by stating my opinion on how people justify it to themselves to purchase a $12000 machine? the only way to have the high priced company's lower their prices is by purchasing a substitute to that product (common economics), so if you'd like the companies to lower their price you should focus your time and effort to the people on here defending the price discrimination we are experiencing throughout the country
26in Exmark Metro
Honda Push Mowers
Stihl Trimmers
BR-600 Blowers

O-H-...
Not my President
Old 01-19-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

While I am not happy that the cost of a exmark ZTR has gone from 8000 for a 27hp 60 inch lazer z 10 years ago to 12-15000 now its not going to stop me from buying more. My issues with exmark is not their mowers but their web site that gets an update once a year and no longer lists hp or even mower cutting speeds.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

but in the end who really pays attention to hp or cutting speeds?

maybe I'm one of the few who don't. I only look at the overall build of the machine, size of deck, ease of operation and most importantly quality of cut.

personally I have no idea what kind of hp I need. when I went to the dealer I thought in my head I needed the larger hp of the mower I was looking at. he asked me with my current mower have I ever bogged down. I said no and he talked me into the smaller hp engine. I still to this day can't tell how many hp I need or even want. as for cutting speed. well I do residentials so maybe that why cutting speed isn't as important to me as some of the other guys. sure I run the mower at top speed when I can but most mowers go an adequate speed so it's never been an issue for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Some lawyer sued the engine companies over hp ratings like 2 years ago and so the hp numbers have all been removed everywhere. It's very annoying when your trying to sort through the product info. On some of exmarks links they give engine cc sizes or the RPMs but on about half of the ones I have tried they do not. Now back when I got my first lazer they had one model thats it the Lazer Z the following year they added the Lazer hp which was smaller decks. Now they have had about 5 other models that do not seem to exist any more that I can think of off hand.

But why would I like stats when comparing? umm I don't know yardguy maybe the fact they have 10 current ztr models (add deck and motor options and you have like 50 choices) not including the 2 navigator lines.

Quest E series
Quest S series
Pioneer E series
Pioneer S series
Lazer Z E series
Lazer Z S series
Lazer Z S series EFI
Lazer Z S series propane EFI
Lazer Z X series (interestingly it has EFI options but you wouldn't know that without looking at the motor lists)
Lazer Z DS series

Now I know I want 2 Lazers but which models becomes difficult when they do not list hp or fuel consumption which is different that saying 15-25% less fuel. Less than what? What is the base number then. Also what size pumps I have 12 ccs now and have had my fill of that size but the offer 16cc and 21 cc as well but seeing which is which is less than clear on their web site. Luckily for me I am very close with my dealer and we often talk for hours late at night when he has the time. So after talking last night I think were looking at a Lazer Z X series ECV 940 EFI 60 inch deck and a Lazer Z X series ECV 980 EFI 72 inch deck. But I need a lot more information about the S series before I can comfortably make that choice.

As for who pays attention to hp and cutting speeds I sure as hell do. 12 mph top speed vs a 11 or 10 mph top speed is going to mean more lawns per day. And why do I want hps well we have hills all over the place here I will have vac systems on the mowers so they weigh more and I do use them with leaf plows in fall and a little in spring so the power is important. And the bigger pumps can mean the difference in blowing them and not blowing them.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I think most of use look at speed and HP. Who wants to buy a new mower only to find out that it's under powered for their intended use? And speed comes into play more than just mowing speed...even if you can't mow at a mower's top speed it's still useful for transporting it. Going across a lawn at 8 mph may seem fast, but when you're on a large property going from one area to another or doing multiple properties at a stop, 8 mph can feel painstakingly slow. Bumping that speed up to 10 or 11 mph is certainly significant.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Yeah, I think most of use look at speed and HP. Who wants to buy a new mower only to find out that it's under powered for their intended use? And speed comes into play more than just mowing speed...even if you can't mow at a mower's top speed it's still useful for transporting it. Going across a lawn at 8 mph may seem fast, but when you're on a large property going from one area to another or doing multiple properties at a stop, 8 mph can feel painstakingly slow. Bumping that speed up to 10 or 11 mph is certainly significant.
It is really important on large properties with dump sites for the bagger. Mowing might not be full speed but when you are dumping at the other end of the property it can be very important and shave hours off cutting times.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For those who mulch, hp is a major factor. I would have def. loved the extra 2 or 3 ponies on my 36" Wright for mulching. I'm sure it makes a huge difference.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a used 2011 scag turf tiger with like 50 hours on it for 7600 I feel like I won.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Club Lawnscapes View Post
I bought a used 2011 scag turf tiger with like 50 hours on it for 7600 I feel like I won.
I would agree with you, nice score. Nothing like getting a deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread