Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well like I said I must be one of the few who doesn't.

when I look at mowers I look for the size of deck I want, price, what kind of bells and whistles does it have the accessories available I would need. also ease of maintenance.

horse power and speed don't really mean much to me. I will only go as fast as the mower is going. no mower is gonna shave hours off my time going from residential propery to trailer and back all day. as for horse power. have no idea what I need. I've just told the dealer how many I service and how often and he makes his recommendation.

I'm much more an impulse buyer than most. if I like the looks of the machine and it has the basic needs and wants and I have the money I'm probably gonna buy it. no comparing horse power, speed, fuel efficiency, etc.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
well like I said I must be one of the few who doesn't.

when I look at mowers I look for the size of deck I want, price, what kind of bells and whistles does it have the accessories available I would need. also ease of maintenance.

horse power and speed don't really mean much to me. I will only go as fast as the mower is going. no mower is gonna shave hours off my time going from residential propery to trailer and back all day. as for horse power. have no idea what I need. I've just told the dealer how many I service and how often and he makes his recommendation.

I'm much more an impulse buyer than most. if I like the looks of the machine and it has the basic needs and wants and I have the money I'm probably gonna buy it. no comparing horse power, speed, fuel efficiency, etc.
I've never let a salesman talk me into what mower I need, I do my homework and draw my own conclusions. I'm an impulse buyer as well, when at the checkout line I sneak a candy bar into the carriage before my wife can see it. I'm not impulsive about a 10-15k investment in my business
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
I've never let a salesman talk me into what mower I need, I do my homework and draw my own conclusions. I'm an impulse buyer as well, when at the checkout line I sneak a candy bar into the carriage before my wife can see it. I'm not impulsive about a 10-15k investment in my business
I'm impulsive about EVERYTHING I buy. business or personal.

I never let a dealer talk me into a certain mower. but I do take there recommendation on HP.

I usually know about what I want before I arrive. then I check it out and go with what my eyes are telling my brain.

but HP and speed are not things I personally look at when comparing mowers. not unless I was told I need at least x amount of HP.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I never let a dealer talk me into a certain mower. but I do take there recommendation on HP.
I'm confused as to how a dealer would know this. You're the mowing expert. You've spent countless hours mowing all kinds of grass in all kinds of conditions. The dealer? He has probably never mowed a blade of grass away from his house. And to think that he may be an expert on every mower he sells is ridiculous. He may know the specs, but you know significantly more about how much power it takes to mow in certain conditions.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

most of the dealers were at one point in the lawn industry themselves. the ones I have I mean.

just because I'm the one doing the cutting doesn't mean I know how much horse power is needed. all I know is I've never bogged down in the 7 years I've been in business so far.

I guess you could say based on the mowers I have and there HP I know what will work. but I don't know if I could get by with less. or if I ever do move to a sit down ztr I'll have no idea what kind of HP I will need. I know what my 36" walkbehind has and what my 52" toro grandstand has and they work great.

so again when buying a sit down ztr I'll take the dealers recommendation.

oh and I personally feel the dealers job is to know EVERYTHNG about all of there products.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's the dealer's job to sell what he has, which isn't necessarily what you need. Have you ever noticed how they try to steer you toward a machine sometimes...the leftover one that they screwed up on when they ordered. Don't be so naive to think that the dealer always has your best interest in mind. They want to sell their existing inventory.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Boy do they steer you if you let them. My first dealer that I kept for all of one year lost their Exmark dealership after I had bought my mowers from them the previous year. They had both Scag and Exmark but Scag gave a trip to Vegas if you sold a certain number of units. So the salesmen pushed and I mean pushed hard to sell Scag. Now I had already had 3 years on Lazers and knew most of what he said was total bs and complete lies so I didn't buckle and stood my ground and got what it was I wanted. When I asked why they lost the dealership their answer was well we only sold 6 units last year (I had bought 2 of them) but they sold 70 scag units. And the reason was obvious that pushed as hard as they could to convert you and if you knew nothing about either well what chance did you have they wouldn't even show you specs on Exmark. Which turned out to be good for me I got a different dealer where the owner is not MIA the owners back ground is mechanical he's not a paid salesmen. He listens and he learns, your feedback matters and why I am sure he may offer a suggestion if I needed one after 23 years in the trade I think I am more than qualified to know what hp and ground speeds I want.

When you get an dealer that not only will take your call when your broke down in the field but he will diagnose your problem and talk you through a solution so you can finish your weeks lawns first then you'd have an idea what I mean when I rave about my dealer. He sells Scags and Exmark and does so evenly and thats the way it should be. And Ive told him if scag was smart they would buy some ultra cut decks an offer them as an option and Id gladly buy one then. They are great handling machines but the cut is totally lacking.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
It's the dealer's job to sell what he has, which isn't necessarily what you need. Have you ever noticed how they try to steer you toward a machine sometimes...the leftover one that they screwed up on when they ordered. Don't be so naive to think that the dealer always has your best interest in mind. They want to sell their existing inventory.
no I've never had a dealer steer me towards anything I don't need.

I go in and tell them what I want and if they have it on the floor I look at it and talk prices and accessories. if not they look into ordering it and we talk prices and accessories.

my toro grandstand was an ordered mower. they didn't have a single one on the floor. but they had some off brand standers they didn't even bother showing me. told him I wanted a grandstand. he said what size deck and what engine. then made the recommendation I go with the smaller engine since I've never had bog down problems with my other mower. I did just that and he's right I've never bogged down.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's funny how there's one person on this board that virtually anything and everything that applies to everyone else doesn't apply to him. I suspect that it's either a case of an altered perception of reality or a need to be contrary, whether that be conscious or subconscious.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
It's funny how there's one person on this board that virtually anything and everything that applies to everyone else doesn't apply to him. I suspect that it's either a case of an altered perception of reality or a need to be contrary, whether that be conscious or subconscious.
I feel the same way...it gets really annoying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread