Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dimension .125G in NJ in July

Would it be a not good idea to put down Dimension with OUT Fertilizer in July at the split application rate?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, but the date seems a bit late to me. I think April and June would work better. Sometimes crabgrass would all ready be emerged in July. And why leave out the fertilizer?
State laws or limits? Want to reduce growth? Color and thickness is good enough? Do you think the fert would cause disease problems? Concerned about fertilizer burn?

Is the crabgrass more serious than the need for feeding the grass?

What about the summer weeds? Oxalis? Spurge? Purslane? Nutsedge?
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allectus is whatís killing me. The combination has a good price point but I Don't want to fertilize in July. From what is on the label, it works with chinch bug when applied in June. So how do i fit it in and not get killed with crabgrass in July and August. I would like to keep the Dimension at the split application position.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No comments on spelling please. This is a rough draft
Old 01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

why not a higher active preem in march/april, then follow up in may/june with sprayable dimension in hot spots only. you putting too much N in the spring, you will have a leaf spot problem. take some N away in the spring and put more down in the fall. your wasting money blanketing allectus, we don't have grubs problems in jersey like we used too. you may want to blanket surface insect control and spot treat imidicloprid only (hot spots or damaged areas from previous year(IPM)) you will save $. also some issues with your weed control.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a ton of grub last year. I did ok with the cg. And t seems like allectus is not that much more than merit+fert.

Also keep in mind that the dimension and the fert below it is the combination product. Also with the allectus. I'm trying to bring down my per app price so I'm labeling combination products as two.

Doing only hot spots seems like the same labor and over head. Are The savings in product worth the effort?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you followed the schedule you put up or is it what you are thinking of doing? If so I would suggest spending some more time on research. I think you have too much nitrogen in the spring, dimension in July would affect fall seeding timing, split broadleaf into spring and fall.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by my supplier that putting down to much N in the fall keeps the seed from germinating

I'm planing to use on of the fall apps with my core and seeding. And the other after all the seed is germinated.

I don't want a lot of growth in the fall because if I have to much grass with my leaves the town won't take the debris. I do want to put down 4lbsx 1K a year. Last year with the new law I was more like at 3.4 lbs X1K
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc1 View Post
Have you followed the schedule you put up or is it what you are thinking of doing? If so I would suggest spending some more time on research. I think you have too much nitrogen in the spring, dimension in July would affect fall seeding timing, split broadleaf into spring and fall.
It's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm looking to improve.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jc1. Good point on the seeding. The point on the N is well taken. I'll put more in the fall. Wouldn't the broad leaf control affect the seeding as well. Last year I use Q4plus and spot treated as we cut during the summer on cooler times if the day. I think it worked nicely.