Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

BNI Networking Group

Not sure if this is in the right spot, but has anyone every joined a BNI local chapter? http://bni.com/

If so, what were the pros/cons? Did you receive many referrals that lead to customers?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

BNI is a national company. That group costs a lot to join,and the why some people they'll just write up leads to make themselves look good. If you have a local Chamber of Commerce ask if they know of local networking group, much cheaper to join. I've been in a local one for 10 yrs now. We collect enough to pay for the room and breakfast. And no extra fees. I do pickup work from it ,but also it works both ways I use members for my business and personal stuff and getting hooked up with the good guy pricing!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to one BNI meeting. Was about to join until they said that you had to come weekly. If you could not show up you must send a representative from your company in your place. You get 3 "no shows" and then they kick you out of the inner circle.

At that time (and now) I just can't make it weekly....maybe once or twice a month but not weekly to meetings. Chamber of commerce sounds like a better direction.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
I went to one BNI meeting. Was about to join until they said that you had to come weekly. If you could not show up you must send a representative from your company in your place. You get 3 "no shows" and then they kick you out of the inner circle.

At that time (and now) I just can't make it weekly....maybe once or twice a month but not weekly to meetings. Chamber of commerce sounds like a better direction.

Yeah I heard that before. From what I understand the enforce attendance to help promote leads, etc., instead of people showing up without supporting one another.

Any other ideas out there?
Old 01-16-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

With my group we try for weekly attendance. But most of us are solo so if you miss a meeting not really going to be kicked out. Just a note if you do join one it takes time to start getting leads most of them members want to study you and see what type of person you are. They don't want to recommend you and you don't follow though,makes them and you look bad.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a brief summary. Not my own words, but couldn't have said it better

Business Network International (BNI) is completely legitimate. They are a leads generating operation where each member brings in contacts that other members don't have. They have chapters around the world and in every state in the U.S., but don't cover every city.

They operate as independent chapters, but under strict regulations. The weekly meetings usually include a meal, but the costs can vary greatly with one-time registration fee, annuals dues, and variable costs for local meetings.

Membership is limited to one person per business category, with members encouraged to not only do business with each other when possible, but also to bring leads and referrals to at least one member each week.

The value to you will have a lot to do with the other members as well as total referral activity within the group. You are allowed to visited every chapter in your market - twice each - before joining, so it make sense to visit everyone that has an opening for you - within a reasonable distance.

Members are required to attend regularly and only two absences are allowed each quarter, unless you send another person to attend in your place.

Depending on your products and/or services, membership could pay for itself from just one new customer, or might be a waste of your time/capital.

The regimentation can be a bit overbearing (bordering on childish to some), but they do get results in most cases.

Check out your chosen group well before you join. My chapter losts its charter within 6-months of my joining - With no possible refund on annual dues. I'm told I can join another chapter free (where they have a vacancy for me), but the nearest chapters are 90 to 150 miles distant - hardly an option when weekly meetings are required.

A well hidden secret behind BNI is that they operate as franchises, with chapters getting their support from the franchise owner, which can be an entire state or region within your state. The chapters operate as a profit generator for the franchise owner.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also with BNI ,you get a lot of fake "leads" from members to keep their totals up. Our group charges 10 bucks a week to cover breakfast and the room,no other fees/
Old 01-16-2013, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Also with BNI ,you get a lot of fake "leads" from members to keep their totals up. Our group charges 10 bucks a week to cover breakfast and the room,no other fees/
Do you find that the leads are actually quality leads? Has being a BNI member helped you?
Old 01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post

That's the same reason I didn't join my local group..in the middle of the mowing season I cannot attend meetings every week, also as a member you are given "research projects" that you have to prepare for a presentation to the group....No Thanks...my schedule is full enough already.

Chad Clark
225-257-5566
chad@clarkunlimited.com
www.clarkunlimited.com
www.facebook.com/culawns
La. Licensed Landscape Horticulturist
La. Licensed Ornamental & Turf Pesticide Applicator
La. Licensed Irrigation Contractor
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been in a BNI group for close to 2 years. It is a great investment. I have done over $10,000 of jobs a year from in at a cost of $300 a year +$20 a month for room fees. We are very careful in how we label things, a lead is not a referral. If someone is constantly handing out crappy leads they will not be renewed and their spot will be filled by someone else. I now have customers coming to me asking if i know a plumber, electrician etcc. (aka they trust me) well worth the time and money