Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Can you swing it sideways and still reel up the hose with your right arm? If you graduate to an electric reel and angle the reel for curbside pull-off...you can slide the tank back near the cab and put the fert and spreader conveniently near the tailgate.

I was surprised how much fert I could get into the cab of my Chevy when it rained. Of course, your truck is new and shiny--and just paid for--so maybe not, lol! Four bags on the front seat floor and four bags on the front seat, and ...Just be sure you can see your mirrors. No ripped bags.
Gives me an idea.

Turn the thing sideways and push it closer to the cab leaving room for the reel handle and build a frame and raise that reel to the height of the bed rail. Then to make it easier you could have a milk crate to stand on if you wanted to make it even easier to reel in.

Then you get the weight more forward, and leave room for your spreader, some fert and a backpack near the tailgate.

Like all space savers. You have to elevate that reel setup.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought about trying to raise and rotate the reel but i like where it is because i'm not gonna bang the hell out of the side of my truck. i would think i could get atleast 10 bags of fert back there. my back pack fits nicely next to the pump towards tailgate.. can fit a handcan on otherside. have my spill kit in a rubbermaid bin on one side near cab.. (may be able to get a smaller bin, or sealable bucket for my spill kit.)

would it be possible to spray liquid fert out of one of these pumps? I had plans on just spraying dimension / speedzone for round #1 but wondered if i could use something like coron 0-0-30 or something similar in the mix?? instead of having to dry app my fert. i am gonna go to JDL next week and see what they have or suggest.. It seems like i'd save alot the first 2 rounds if i could go all liquid.. as well as my fall pre-emergent apps. would be nice!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the volume is too low for applying liquid fert in a practical sense. Maybe you could apply 1.5 gals per thousand sqft, if you walked slowly. I am not sure if the concentration would cause burns in hot weather. So you would not be able to apply much nitrogen. If a low rate of nitrogen is OK--should work.

Can you reverse the reel? That is put the crank on the other end--and move the hose and swivel to the other side? Move the tank near the cab and wind the crank with your left hand and guide the hose with your right.

The gun might still bang up your fenders a bit.

Has anyone modified your spray gun with rubber bumpers or tape to protect your truck paint?

I always coated the metal screw clamp with heavy tape due to the sharpness of the metal clamp and resulting cuts. I used a Chemlawn gun--plastic so I only had a few scratches. See my pics.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, i think my round 1 , 5 and 6 could be all liquid because i won't be applying high nitrogen on those rounds. what kinda tank mix could replace a granular 0-0-7 app with dimension?? i was gonna do liquid dimension /speed zone with some type of liquid based fert with high potassium with no or little N or P.. any suggestions? was looking online and pesstrong had Coron 0-0-30, probally could find something like that cheaper locally.. i just like to keep a little potassium in the mix for the rounds when its cooler. and when its time to do high nitrogen apps on bermuda in spring and summer i would rather it to be with a good granular slow release anyway.

when my chemlawn gun gets to me i'm gonna see how it sprays at 1.5 gallons a minute, if i just don't feel like i'm gonna get a good app down with it, i'll stick to all dry, and just use the wand with fantip to blanket app the post emergent. all i've been able to test this rig out with was the jd-9 and wand and those both work really well.

if i put the tank near the cab i'd have to get up in the truck to reel it in, i don't think i'd want to do that. If things go good this year this fall i may find a local welder who can help me get the reel raised and rotated, and i like your idea of padding the gun. would have to upgrade to a electric reel though. I'm all about saving money this year though, if i have to inconvenience myself a little, and its not as easy for me to get the job done, that's OK.. as long as i can get the job done right.. and do the best app possible for the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I think the volume is too low for applying liquid fert in a practical sense. Maybe you could apply 1.5 gals per thousand sqft, if you walked slowly. I am not sure if the concentration would cause burns in hot weather. So you would not be able to apply much nitrogen. If a low rate of nitrogen is OK--should work.

Can you reverse the reel? That is put the crank on the other end--and move the hose and swivel to the other side? Move the tank near the cab and wind the crank with your left hand and guide the hose with your right.

The gun might still bang up your fenders a bit.

Has anyone modified your spray gun with rubber bumpers or tape to protect your truck paint?

I always coated the metal screw clamp with heavy tape due to the sharpness of the metal clamp and resulting cuts. I used a Chemlawn gun--plastic so I only had a few scratches. See my pics.

Last edited by inzane; 01-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been winding a space saver type spray reel in on the passenger side for five years and never dinged the truck. Like anything else you just need to be deliberate and careful.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
well, i think my round 1 , 5 and 6 could be all liquid because i won't be applying high nitrogen on those rounds. what kinda tank mix could replace a granular 0-0-7 app with dimension?? i was gonna do liquid dimension /speed zone with some type of liquid based fert with high potassium with no or little N or P.. any suggestions? was looking online and pesstrong had Coron 0-0-30, probally could find something like that cheaper locally.. i just like to keep a little potassium in the mix for the rounds when its cooler. and when its time to do high nitrogen apps on bermuda in spring and summer i would rather it to be with a good granular slow release anyway.

when my chemlawn gun gets to me i'm gonna see how it sprays at 1.5 gallons a minute, if i just don't feel like i'm gonna get a good app down with it, i'll stick to all dry, and just use the wand with fantip to blanket app the post emergent. all i've been able to test this rig out with was the jd-9 and wand and those both work really well.

if i put the tank near the cab i'd have to get up in the truck to reel it in, i don't think i'd want to do that. If things go good this year this fall i may find a local welder who can help me get the reel raised and rotated, and i like your idea of padding the gun. would have to upgrade to a electric reel though. I'm all about saving money this year though, if i have to inconvenience myself a little, and its not as easy for me to get the job done, that's OK.. as long as i can get the job done right.. and do the best app possible for the customer.
An electric reel costs more than you paid for the entire unit. Throw in some hose and you're double what you paid. Just use this for a few years and see how it goes then buy a real spray unit.

This is really just a homeowner deal designed to sit on the back of a Gator or whatever..
Old 01-20-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mabee i can get some straps and make it a back pack sprayer! lol. (the wife thought i was serious)

all my old buddys at trugreen are laughing at me at this tiny spray rig, but hey.. atleast i'm not at trugreen.. jokes on them! lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
An electric reel costs more than you paid for the entire unit. Throw in some hose and you're double what you paid. Just use this for a few years and see how it goes then buy a real spray unit.

This is really just a homeowner deal designed to sit on the back of a Gator or whatever..
Old 01-20-2013, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure...maybe in about 3 years you will strap this sprayer to an old mower. Bang...its a ride on.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its funny to me that i have had my logo and info on the back window of my truck most of last season, never had a call from that or anybody approach me while out. went out for the first time with this little bitty sprayer in my truck ( was getting some gas and going to store..) between gas station and store had 2 different people ask me what i was spraying and if i had a card.. lol. got one estimate to do tommorow. the other is a landscaper who may be looking for a new guy to do his spraying,.. but doubt anythign would come out of that when or if he looks at my website and see's i offer maintenance as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
mabee i can get some straps and make it a back pack sprayer! lol. (the wife thought i was serious)

all my old buddys at trugreen are laughing at me at this tiny spray rig, but hey.. atleast i'm not at trugreen.. jokes on them! lol.
You're on your own and starting small like you should and eventually you'll get better stuff thats more suited for commercial applications.

You made a good decision on this unit. Just needs a mod or two and I have a lot of heavy duty gear and I still like this little bugger so let your buds at TG laugh all they want.

When they ask you for a job, you'll be the one laughing.