Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Spraying Ag grade Potash from tank.

I bought a bag of Ag grade 0-0-60 from a local feed store to do a "jar test" to see how quickly it dissolved. I took 3 one litre containers and filled them each 1/2 way with water. 1 warm from tap, 1 cold from tap and one with water from outside hovering at the 35F temp. I then added one palm full about 1/8 cup fertilizer to the containers.

Both the warm and the cold from tap water solution dissolved readily with about 15 seconds of vigorous shaking of the container. There was no remnants left in the bottom and there has been no settling 3 hrs after making the solution. It has remained in suspension.

About 75% of the near freezing solution dissolved with the same amount of agitation. The other 25% dissolved after about 30 minutes of sitting in the container outside in the cold and snow.

The bag of product is a red color with a flaked consistency, certainly not the NewMexico 0-0-62 "fine" I have sprayed in the past but not a fertilizerer prill either.

The price is half the price of the last New Mexico product I priced. The savings for me would be great if I could use this product sprayed from my tanks this Spring.

Does anyone have experience with doing this in the past and if so, I'd like to know how it went?? I'd like to know others thoughts on it also. All of my spray units have excellent jet agitation.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ted,

Is the potash SOP or MOP?

MOP- Potassium chloride is occasionally known as "muriate of potash," particularly when used as a fertilizer. t's odd how this old-fashioned name remains in use! Muriate comes from Muria, the Latin for brine. Muriate of potash is potassium chloride containing between 50 and 60 per cent potash. It was deposited eons ago by ancient seas and should be considered a natural product, blessed by organocultists, but it is not. Its chlorine content passes off rapidly when applied to soil.

As explained under soil organisms, however, muriate of potash is harmful to certain beneficial bacteria. Some authorities think sulfate of potash makes a better potash fertilizer.

SOP - Sulfate of Potash

This contains 48 per cent potash. It is more expensive than muriate of potash but is considered less harmful to bacteria and plant roots. Sulphate of Potash is virtually chloride free with a salt index of only 46 (whereas Muriate of Potash is 114). The essential sulphur content is in the readily plant available sulphate form. Sulphate of Potash consists of grey or white granules.​
Providing potassium to crops sensitive to chloride and salt

Contains a low salt index helping to avoid the plant taking up excess water

Mixes well with all other fertiliser.

DEpending upon your soil ph , you can decide if you want to use SOP or MOP.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Ted,

Is the potash SOP or MOP?

MOP- Potassium chloride is occasionally known as "muriate of potash," particularly when used as a fertilizer. t's odd how this old-fashioned name remains in use! Muriate comes from Muria, the Latin for brine. Muriate of potash is potassium chloride containing between 50 and 60 per cent potash. It was deposited eons ago by ancient seas and should be considered a natural product, blessed by organocultists, but it is not. Its chlorine content passes off rapidly when applied to soil.

As explained under soil organisms, however, muriate of potash is harmful to certain beneficial bacteria. Some authorities think sulfate of potash makes a better potash fertilizer.

SOP - Sulfate of Potash

This contains 48 per cent potash. It is more expensive than muriate of potash but is considered less harmful to bacteria and plant roots. Sulphate of Potash is virtually chloride free with a salt index of only 46 (whereas Muriate of Potash is 114). The essential sulphur content is in the readily plant available sulphate form. Sulphate of Potash consists of grey or white granules.​
Providing potassium to crops sensitive to chloride and salt

Contains a low salt index helping to avoid the plant taking up excess water

Mixes well with all other fertiliser.

DEpending upon your soil ph , you can decide if you want to use SOP or MOP.
Thanks for the detailed info Barry. It is appreciated.

Both products, the New Mexico product(I've sprayed for 20+ yrs) and this Ag grade product I have recently come across are Muriate of Potash(MOP).

It sounds as though the SOP will lower soil PH. The soils in this area range from about 5.5 - 6.5. In years past I have applied Lime annually in an effort to raise this number. However, the last couple of years have been terrible for diseases...not just the lawns I care for either. The problem has been such that the U of A has recommended trying to keep the lawns on the low side as far as PH goes. They are telling us the diseases don't do as well in the PH ranges 99% of our lawns are already in. Because of this I have all but stopped Lime apps unless soil tests indicate they really need it.

While SOP sounds like it would probably be better, availabilty in my area is going to be the main issue. There is only one supplier that MIGHT even have it. Sometimes I really envy the LCO's located closer to major population centers because of limits on products like this for me located here in "the sticks"

My main question on this forum is... Have any others used this? if so, were there any problems they had that I am overlooking as far as sprayabilty and equipment issues? And, for those who would like to comment on whether they think there might be potential problems to speak up. I like hearing others ideas...

My tests on solubility and product remaining in suspension indicate that there should not be a problem if I decided to go this route. I left the test containers outside for the night just for the hell of it. Tonights low is forecasted to be 24F. It will be interesting to see them at 7AM tomorrow.