Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for website review

I've had the website for over a year, but just went thru and did a bunch of changes. I edited tags, titles etc and it seems to be moving up the rankings in my area

www.landmarkmnc.com

I just want a simple site that says what we do and shows a few pictures, nothing flashy....... and certainly no simple errors like spelling.

What do you think, am I there?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
Sponsor

It looks nice, clean and Informative. However, it is missing the ability to give instant quotes and the ability for your potential customers to sign up for services right from your site. This is possible through AcculawnSystems.com. An example of a site that has this functionality is archwaylawnare.com. It works.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlriv View Post
no simple errors like spelling.
LOL, read that and had to fire up Inspyder to scan the site... I'm a geek

vegitation should be vegetation on http://www.landmarkmnc.com/brush_mowing/

consistant should be consistent on http://www.landmarkmnc.com/bark_mulch/

Lanscaping should be Landscaping in the title on http://www.landmarkmnc.com/2012/03/13/review/

That is it for misspellings...
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Greg, I read over that thing 100 times, and thought I spell checked everything. I was expected that I my mistakes were going to be either the an extra word or the wrong word, like to instead of two...Thanks I will have to look into this inspyder scan
Old 01-15-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Inspyder is a nice tool, it will not only do spell check across the whole site, it will check for broken links as well (Xenu Sleuth will do that one for free though). It flagged a lot more, but mostly city names, so you can add them tot he custom dictionary.

Also it does give a Keyword Density (although I've never used that part myself, have other tools), example is the one I attached from your site scan.

You can also set it to schedule scans, but this is more useful for sites where multiple people contribute, or, like me, as a web developer can set it to watch client sites where they make changes, but don't do so well at spell check.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf density.pdf (232.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats a lot of info. I will look at some of that later this week, Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

didn't know about inspyder, i always wrote my text in microsoft word and checked it that way. however, this does nothing for my piss poor grammer.. lol.

your site looks good by the way.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One note on copying and pasting for word, word likes to "fancify" your writings, curled apostrophes and quotation marks instead of the "normal" single and double quote characters, and several other things like type a word, hit space, then hyphen (-) then another space and you will see that hyphen get bigger, it is now a different character.

Depending on how your site is set up, and what method used to edit it, it may or may not handle display those characters correctly, and, my oh my, when you copy from word and paste into some web editors, it takes with it a ton of "crap" code behind it that you don't visually see.

I know this is hard to tell if you are not used to it, but if you are using an editor that uses "TinyMCE", (and they do make an addon for WordPress to use it), Look for the icon you see in the attached file, and use that to add content that had been copied from Word. It does a really good job of stripping out the junk, and converting special characters over to how they properly need represented on a web page (ex.. ™ instead of an actual TradeMark symbol)

(Oh and if you want to completely strip ANY formatting, you can use the one pictured to the left, to paste plain text)
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it looks good. Simple and clean.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Ritchiem, thanks thats what I was going for.