Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is another connector, its for winches. Uses 4 gauge wire, and also has plugs to cover the connector when not in use.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/supe...FQWonQodXnIAxQ

Again, just a quick google search.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407642...Types&var=sbar

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FQq0nQodlCAANw

I found these connectors locally, but cant remember where. I didnt have the dust covers for mine, but since this seems to be an issue for you get these. I am in FLA so I dont have to deal with snow and what not...
Old 01-17-2013, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepple Services View Post
Here is another connector, its for winches. Uses 4 gauge wire, and also has plugs to cover the connector when not in use.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/supe...FQWonQodXnIAxQ

Again, just a quick google search.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407642...Types&var=sbar

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FQq0nQodlCAANw

I found these connectors locally, but cant remember where. I didnt have the dust covers for mine, but since this seems to be an issue for you get these. I am in FLA so I dont have to deal with snow and what not...
Hey thanks man, I'm going to try a few more local places tomorrow morning but if I can't come up with anything I will order the ones with the dust covers online.

Salt and debris does wonders on our trucks not to mention the underside of them.

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2013, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you take a multi meter to the charger to make sure it's still functioning at 100%?

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
Did you take a multi meter to the charger to make sure it's still functioning at 100%?
Honestly I'm not even sure where the charger is at. I'm assuming it doesn't work since I'm having the problems. Guys that sell PJ locally here say its a common problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
Honestly I'm not even sure where the charger is at. I'm assuming it doesn't work since I'm having the problems. Guys that sell PJ locally here say its a common problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have a 20' PJ Dump trailer myself. I would think chargers would only be good for a few years before they start to go south.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 01-20-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have PJ dump, didn't read everything on this thread,but do it charge only when hooked up to the truck and charge when running? If so,how much of a charge are you going to get running so little. You could pick up a solar battery charger and hook it up to the trailer battery to keep a full charge in it.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
I have PJ dump, didn't read everything on this thread,but do it charge only when hooked up to the truck and charge when running? If so,how much of a charge are you going to get running so little. You could pick up a solar battery charger and hook it up to the trailer battery to keep a full charge in it.
If you buy a charger with a trickle charge setting it will greatly extend the life of your batteries. My trailer has two batteries.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Yes I would believe it only charges when I am driving and the trailer is hooked up. There are many many times when the trailer is hooked up to my truck (running) for over an hour. Even after charging the battery overnight to a full charge it still can't dump more than 2-3 times without needing another charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
If you buy a charger with a trickle charge setting it will greatly extend the life of your batteries. My trailer has two batteries.
I just get sick of taking the battery out of the trailer every night to charge it. (I don't park the trailer close to power so I can't just hook the charger up when it's still in the trailer).
Old 01-20-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack View Post
Yes I would believe it only charges when I am driving and the trailer is hooked up. There are many many times when the trailer is hooked up to my truck (running) for over an hour. Even after charging the battery overnight to a full charge it still can't dump more than 2-3 times without needing another charge.

I just get sick of taking the battery out of the trailer every night to charge it. (I don't park the trailer close to power so I can't just hook the charger up when it's still in the trailer).
Like this.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I just went through this about 2 months ago. I haul more with my dump trailer more than maybe I should, but its what I have and I am not buying a dump truck yet. It's a PJ and its at 2011. I was having problems with my battery and I took it into my local battery/alternator shop and had it load tested and its charging amps were half of what it should be. I had sulfated the plate from using a trickle charger and not getting a deep cycle charge(charged after every use, but trickle charger didnt have enough amp/hr to charge a deep cycle over night). When I bought the trailer 5 to 6 loads were common, after a year I was down to 4 and by this fall I was down to 3. The shop suggested that I run jumper cable wire with a battery isolator in it to make sure I didn't have any troubles smoking my alternator or worse. Same forklift style plugs that have been shown on here. I ran the wire and got it all cut and set up and then took it back and the soldered all the ends and put that heat shrink wrap on them all. Total was $422 from them and my time, well worth it! Seems to not struggle so bad. I was starting in on hauling 150 loads of topsoil in for a contractor with it before it snowed and it was working great. I know it seems silly, but its busy work through the winter, since no snow for 20ish days and none in long range. Feel free to ask it you have anymore questions.