Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Diamond is the only rotary that I have been around so I cant compare to anything else. The quality is great in tall grass. When I get into 3-4"stuff it knocks it down easily but it does not dice it up very well. I bought mine off of Iron Planet a year or two ago. Recently they sold a bunch more direct from the factory. These 10K mowers were selling for about 4K. Great deal on such a HD mower.

The Cat 257 was a notorious pig. Heavy and underpowered. Maybe the latest versions corrected that, but historically that weight class has not been real productive for CAT. They all have some cool functions for these applications. Deere has a fan reverser, that would be nice as all that cut grass flying round will plug your radiator at some point. Case has a choice of two different high flow pumps, just like the old days of the XT series. Regardless of what color you pick, if you want to run these high flow, high demand attachments error on the side of more power. Your at a low alt., but it does get warm there so try to get a bigger machine to handle the hyd. load. It will also allow you to grow into the machine, and take on larger jobs.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on brushcutting/land clearing

Yeah they seem like they're well built. Some people have said they can take down a 10" tree if the machine is powerful enough. Not sure if that's beyond it's capabilities but I think it'd be a good mower to start out with regardless.

Yeah I get what you are saying as far as growing into the machine. Right now I'm still trying to figure out if it'd be worth having a go at it and if I'd be able to keep the machine somewhat busy from April to thru November with dirt work, landscaping, mowing, demo, etc along with snow removal. otherwise I have a skid steer I can use but with any amount of mowing I can see myself going thru tires on it.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is nice not having to worry about flats. That heavy dark black dirt you deal with in the Red River Valley would lend itself to a tracked machine.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on brushcutting/land clearing

Yeah flat tires are no fun! Had my share of them with the skid the family business owns for snow removal.

That's for sure! My only fear is that I wouldn't be able to keep a CTL busy enough to justify getting my own...