Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leaf Box Vac and Dust

Just wondering if anyone has gotten any complaints about the dust coming out the top of the leaf loader and landing on the neighboring houses/cars/people, etc. I mainly work in suburbs where neighbors are close and nosy. Any information on venting tips/locations/size would be appreciated, I will be building one for next year and just want to plan ahead. I haven't used one but have seen lots of pics where there is a ton of dust pouring out the top, I know if its dry it will be more dusty then wet, but any tips would help.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Debris Loader Dust

Due to warranty issues with the new debris loader we purchased last season, I have been researching purchasing a new one and found Scag's Giant Vac site. I think the tubing on this Giant Vac might be helpful in stopping some of the dust issues by pointing the tube down. Using two mesh tarps might help curtail the dust as well.

http://www.giant-vac.com/industrial_tow_behind.php
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I broke 2 ribs on that damn tubing about 30 days ago wrestling it on to the vac where it was met with a lot of resistance. It doesn't help with the dust either way. The screens is where it comes from but the vacs need to breath. I double up the screens on one and mesh tarps on the other. It helps a lot over single screened vents but the dust is still an issue. The way around that which we don't do is on some heavier town versions and on them they have water tanks and spray water into the exit tube as it vacs there by wetting down the dust before it gets into the box. Looks cool but we will probably just blow off the neighbors vehicles when we are done same as our trucks.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Plus dust means the machine is doing it's job well. maybe a machine with a smaller engine would cut down dust.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

You can also blow dust of with a backpack blower unless it's wet out.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Venting

This design has helped us--sadly this photo is generation 1 an generation 2 though similar fixed a number of bugs.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

S and D Your rig is great does the roll off allow you to get a lot more use out of the truck. I like that you used more of a chipper setup for the roof instead of a mesh tarp. How's the monster no dealers here for monster. I had major issues dealing with billy goat on my last loader so I'm looking into a giant vac tow behind. Any info on monster would be great.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I m not sure why we waited to get the roll-off. The chipper top is nice, but could use several more vents. The monster is phenomenal (actually it's everyone who left giant vac) and we really put it through its paces this season. I would recommend it more than the billygoat it upgraded though I had no complaints with the billygoat.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

that is a leaf machine.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

S and D What was the ball park price on your monster. How old was your billy goat? I think the issues I had are on the ones being manufactured currently not the older models and dealing with warranty issues though the distributor billy goat is using.