Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Winter Tires Year-Round?

I have an old 1992 Honda Accord station wagon that's essentially a spare vehicle that I use as an around-town errand mobile. My son will also use it when he needs to carry more than his Miata will or in winter driving conditions. It doesn't get a lot of miles on it, about 3k per year (it's only got 125k on it). The problem with it is that it sucks in the snow with all season tires on it. About 8 to 10 years ago I pulled the Goodyears off it, dropped from 195/60/15s to 185/65/15s and put Semipirit Sport Grip tires on it, which are a winter tire. They've actually still got decent treat on them but they've got a lot of fine cracks all over them.

I stopped at a tire dealer today and they strongly recommended against runnng winter tires year-round. I understand that tread wear will be greater running a winter tire in summer, as will road noice, but obviously that's not much of a concern, since I've gotten 8 to 10 years out of the current tires and I'm replacing them due to age rather than tread.

So the question is, is there really a high danger of blow-outs running winter tires in New England in the summer as the dealer claims...haven't had a problem yet. I was thinking of putting the General Altimax Artics on it. I really don't want to spend a ton on tires and the Generals are priced nicely and readily available.

Attached are pics of the Semipirt and General tires.
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

you have already proven your tire dealer wrong,and understand the tire wear issues ,so why not just go for it again ?I have done this myself and other than the tire wear issues made out just fine .Have you concidered buying two snows,and two all seasons ? you can flip them front to rear depending on the season and have the best of both worlds .
Old 02-01-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All my vehicles run winter tires year round except for the volvo station wagon which is all wheel drive. As long as your ball joints, linkages, and everything then the wear shouldnt be too much if an issue, especially at 3k miles a year.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, hadn't considered mixing them. I have thought about getting some "all weather" tires which are essentially winter tires that you can leave on all year but they're pricey and not very available...same with mud & snow rated ones. I really don't want to be putting tires on this thing that are worth more than it is, lol. If it weren't for the fact that my son drives it some I probably would just leave the current tires on it.

The Generals actually rate pretty well for both dry and wet traction and people love them on snow and ice. The only complaint people have about them is they're a little noisy...like I care. No "mushy" reports on them like on some snow tires either. They're actually the same as the discontinued Gislaved Nordfrost 3 which were a very popular tire.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What brand/model tires are you running LandFakers?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
What brand/model tires are you running LandFakers?
Not sure of the ones on the van, but both trucks have BFGoodrich commercial, or commercial traction. Something to that tune. They are kind of aggresive, but they have lasted 17k so far on my truck and they look nice

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I think those are mud/snow rated but not true winter tires. Really not worried about wear, since the ones I have on now are rotting off with decent tread still on them. If it weren't for my son driving it sometimes I'd probably just skip it. He wanted to take it to Vermont to go snowboarding but we had him take my wife's Altima instead while she drove the Honda. The Altima does fine with all season tires on it. He actually has brand new M/S rated tires on the Miata but it's really not suitable for driving in snow at all, and certainly not to snow country.