Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ford Ranger Mowing Truck Build

At the suggestion of another member I will post the few pictures of my ranger build on this thread too.

Putting a custom bed on it. It will carry (2) 30" Toro Turfmasters, 2 trimmers, 1 stick edger, (1) BR600, Water cooler, and a 5lb spool of trimmer line plus misc.

The bed is 6'2"long plus a 2 foot dovetail made from 1/8" flat steel. There will be a basket at the front. The dovetail and ramp will be expanded metal for weight concers. It will have 1 foot sides but they will not slope down at the dovetail, they will stay level. It will be 67 inches wide (inside) so I can carry the mowers side by side or one parked behind the other (this will leave the handle on the 2nd one sticking out a bit past the gate though...

GreenTouch Extreme 3 place trimmer rack on the passenger side. Line spool probably centered between that, not sure where cooler rack will go yet.

I have not beefed up the suspension yet. I will do that after I load it up (minus one turfmaster I dont have yet) then decide what to add for suspension.

Its currently in the fab shop and should be done in a few more days. $1800 plus what I paid for racks.

They will paint it black.

I will take a few more pictures hopefully but its not in my possession so thats not easy and Im not the type to go bug them everyday for a picture.

Pics in a minute...

Last edited by Kawizx62003; 02-13-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-13-2015, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You should consider asking if they would snap just a few pics for you during the construction.
Let them know that you're posting info about your new build online and that it would be nice to show how it took shape.
It would be good exposure for them as well because you KNOW that everyone will ask where it was done.

My local auto body shop takes photos at different stages of progress when a vehicle is in for paint/body work. They actually post them on their website and give you an access code so you can see how your repairs are coming along. Pretty cool.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very nice!! I had dreams of doing this with my sons ranger before he sold it. That thing would be perfect for where I mow down on the shoreline in 1 way dead end neighborhoods. Having to back 1/4 mile out of neighborhood sucks! I think my plan was 6'6" plus dovetail so that the lazer could go in the back if we needed but man you are making me jealous I never made it happen.... Cant wait to see it done

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You should consider asking if they would snap just a few pics for you during the construction.
Let them know that you're posting info about your new build online and that it would be nice to show how it took shape.
It would be good exposure for them as well because you KNOW that everyone will ask where it was done.

My local auto body shop takes photos at different stages of progress when a vehicle is in for paint/body work. They actually post them on their website and give you an access code so you can see how your repairs are coming along. Pretty cool.
I did ask. Not sure if they have (I dont think so). They have a lot going on as they are in the process of opening a new shop. I will try to swing by today again. They were waiting on the metal truck to come in so it was at a stand still.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Very nice!! I had dreams of doing this with my sons ranger before he sold it. That thing would be perfect for where I mow down on the shoreline in 1 way dead end neighborhoods. Having to back 1/4 mile out of neighborhood sucks! I think my plan was 6'6" plus dovetail so that the lazer could go in the back if we needed but man you are making me jealous I never made it happen.... Cant wait to see it done
Its been my goal basically since I started. When I started part time last May, I found the just mowing threads on here about it. I though that it was a good plan for my area (1.3? million pop). I had a 48" WB at the time (POS). I quit my full time job for more than 1 reason. That day I bought a Turfmaster (July 24th?). I put it in the bed of my f150. It was great except for ramps being a pain (even fell off the ramp in front of a customer), the back of the bed was filled and stuff was all over...I needed more room and more organization.

I waited on some funds that were due in January and planned to use them for the truck and some other things for 2015. So here I am...

I mow nothing over 18000 sq ft (what many of these Texas 21" companies do). I may drop that after I see how it goes this year. 15000? or so. The mower is great but I am building the business with the plan B of 21's just in case...
Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ah I see, I don't use anything smaller than a 36 but same thing, ramps just suck to load any mower.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-13-2015, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For the suspension, air bags?
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating hedge trimmer, straight shaft edger, power pruner, and pro torque trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower
Stihl Br600 backpack blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 02-13-2015, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2mow View Post
For the suspension, air bags?
Going to try to get away with helper springs I hope as that will be a little cheaper. But, yeah airbags if needed.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

Aint that truck gonna be too light duty to do haul much more than push mowers.