Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Upselling

Hey guys. We bill monthly so we leave nothing behind for clients. I want to leave something behind this year that tells the client what we did and anything else we think they should consider doing. I want to make it a competition for the guys and reward them for upsells. But I need a better way of communicating these upsells to the client at the completion of each service. Does anyone have something they can share that they use for these purposes?
Old 01-30-2016, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested as well! Great thread!

My picture thread http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=447796

USMC grunt. Semper Fi.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

What services are you trying to upsell to your customers and what services are you currently offering them? Are you a lawn care company just doing fert and squirt apps or are you talking about landscape maintenance services? Since you say you don't leave anything behind, I am assuming your talking maintenance but I just want to make sure.

If your talking maintenance, I think that is a tough thing to do. Are you planning on just rewarding them if they leave something behind and the client calls the office and wants a proposal. Or are you wanting them to try and actually sell these extras? Who's going to train them on what to say and not say. How are they going to know how to price things? What happens when they think they are proposing something correct and totally blow the estimate?

If you have guys out in the field working, it should be pretty easy for you to get out and contact your clients. A sales person should be visiting their high priority, AAA whatever you want to call your best customers properties at least every other week. When you are there if you see something you think should be done, pick up the phone send an email etc. All other accounts should be visited once per month and again same thing.

If your pushing a specific service put an insert in their monthly bills, things like that. The best experience I have had with up selling to maintenance clients is actually talking with them, walking their property etc. Set up a meeting with them once a year and walk the property. You will get them talking and I am sure something will come up.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Why cant you call the client and explain to them what you think their property needs? I know some people have door hangers they use with checklist of services the client needs.

http://specialtlandscapingokc.com/
Old 01-30-2016, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special T Landscaping View Post
Why cant you call the client and explain to them what you think their property needs? I know some people have door hangers they use with checklist of services the client needs.
Exactly. Pretty much along the lines of what I said. Get out there and actually sell, communicate with your clients. In my opinion leave the guys to do what they are hired to do and do best. If you want to offer them incentives or reward them do it in a way that rewards them for their production.

I am not trying to say you do this, but I personally believe too many people now aren't comfortable with actually selling or don't want to. Technology has made it so easy to just send off an email to a client instead of meeting with them or picking up the phone.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

trying to edit
Old 01-31-2016, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The initial visit at a property gives you an oppourtunity to see what is needed.
The discussion with the customer should touch on what you see is needed.
The estimate should touch on what services may be needed.
Make sure the customer knows what services you provide.
if anything your employees should communicate with you. You should then contact your customers to discuss propert needs.

Most guys are so focused on mowing (which is fine) that they never convey to a customer other services that they offer. Then are shocked when a customer has a job done and never end asked for a price.
Every invoice sent to a customer should have a little upsell info on it or with it.

Just a mention of "next month we begin mid season shrub trimming call to get put on the list" can be very effective
Old 01-31-2016, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I thought of a checklist form my guys could leave at door??

-- pruning needed
-- mulch would help with weeds
-- irrigation running too much/not enough.

Just a little something -- even if they notice something like mold on house-- to show our attention to detail and that we are observant while on property.

Build a great reputation for premium work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2016, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

The only thing we don't do is landscape construction. I currently don't have the time to sit down and call each client about things we could do to improve their property as I am still responsible for many duties such as mowing, fert, etc. I think if I stepped aside and did this I might be able to sell enough to cover hiring another guy to cover my labor. But the payroll and payroll tax burden is what has really hit us hard these past couple years. But if our guys leave something behind with a quick note, I think it makes their visit more personal and also gives us an opportunity to sell some other services, grub preventer, shrub trimming, landscape bed pre em, pest control, etc.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

I created a "work order" on quick books last night. I might print a bunch of those blank and just let the guys make notations on those. I might also try to upsell them in person or over the shone or email myself. Pictures help sell a lot. I had the guys texting me pictures of something on a lawn and I would email or text the client what we saw and how much it would cost to correct it. I up sold about $2000 in a week last year. We just need to implement a process for this. That is what I'm hoping to find. I think we are leaving a lot of money on the table.