Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Lunch Breaks

Do you guys pay your employees during lunch breaks? Most of the time my guys do not bring a lunch and will leave the property in company truck to get something to eat. If they bring there lunch sometimes they eat on the way to the job. I know by law they need lunch but my background in store management the employees punched out. Look forward to your comments.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I would pay them, but they dont take a lunch break, I do but they just keep working
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf69 View Post
I would pay them, but they dont take a lunch break, I do but they just keep working
When you count the windshield time, and lunch time, it adds up to a great deal of time on my payroll. I am not trying to be a jerk I am just wanting to do what is right. Thanks...
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Windshield time is your problem ,your the one who is getting the work for them. Take the break and don't be a slave driver.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandview (2006) View Post
Windshield time is your problem ,your the one who is getting the work for them. Take the break and don't be a slave driver.
Thank you for your comment. I want to do the right thing and for the last three years I am paying for there lunch breaks, windshield time and christmas, thankgiving, plus bonus when business is doing well. I am finding this is a very hard business to get anyone to help shoot streight with you, or want to help you be a better owner and person.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lunch time is always time spent off the clock. I believe it is mandatory for all employees to take a minimum of 30 minutes off for lunch after being on the clock for 5 hours. Personally, I take a 45 minute lunch after 3 hours, but I end up doing it that early because I start getting hungry around 10 or 11:00.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You don't to have to pay for lunch. As long as you pick a time of day when the truck stops and they break. Just remember it costs less to keep an employee then to find good ones.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i dont pay for lunch. How long lunch break is will be deducted at the end of the day as well as unscheduled stops for restroom or drink stops or whatever. I usually take a hour lunch and enjoy it daily...lunch is unpaid but very much needed break so we enjoy it and dont hurry to get back after 30 minutes like most places do basically...(i do sometimes buy lunch though)
Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Good answers and thank you guys a lot. The biggest issue is me because I have a hard time sitting for very long. Always been that way so maybe I need to chill out more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A related question,

For those that don't send your normal daily time out with a crew

How many have set break times and how many let their guys take breaks when they feel like? I had a situation multiple times with the same crew, I would pull up with them standing around and was told they were taken lunch. Even at 10 am. In not sure how much of that was the truth or not.

Another larger company gives their guys a set time. If the supervisor pulls up and people are standing around the crew leader is written up, and he can't use the excuse he's on break
Posted via Mobile Device