Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Possibly looking to buy a new ZTR

This is related to the 28 acre account I may be getting to also keep it maintained. Along with this account, I am also getting an account in March to cut about 2 acres. It is a mobile home lot (new homes for sale). I currently only have a 1996 Walker GHS with a 36" deck. Good mower but it has some age and it's not quite as reliable as I would like it to be with these bigger jobs coming up.

In my area I have dealers for Toro, Husquvarna (sp?), Walker, Exmark, and John Deere.

Right now I am mainly looking at a Exmark 52" or 60" Lazer Z S or X Series? Is it worth the extra money for the X Series? Also EFI or no?

I will be renting a Exmark 60" next week so that will give me some seat time on one to see how I actually like it or don't.

Thanks for the advice and help!
Encore Premier 36" WB
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Not trying to tell you what to do but as a rule we don't buy a piece of equipment on account of one job.
No, I don't care how big a job, and if the job is so big that I have to consider buying equipment just to tackle it then that means it's too big for us to handle, very simple rules I have learned to live by over the years.

Now if I could only learn to stop taking people's sorry ass half broke hand held homeowner cheap grade equipment they give us because they think they're doing us a favor where I end up spending MONEY just to throw it in the garbage because the crap costs more to fix than it does to buy another, if I could only learn to tell these people that to their face instead of filling up the basement with these pieces of hoarded space-eating worthless 2-cycle turds, if I could do that I'd be set.

Last edited by herler; 12-20-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Not trying to tell you what to do but as a rule we don't buy a piece of equipment on account of one job.
No, I don't care how big a job, and if the job is so big that I have to consider buying equipment just to tackle it then that means it's too big for us to handle.
This couldn't be farther from the truth and what's with "us"? You don't have employee's.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
This couldn't be farther from the truth and what's with "us"? You don't have employee's.
Well you go on and take on payments on a piece of equipment that you couldn't afford and then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!

[spoiler] REPOMAN! [/spoiler]

You ain't got nothing to fall back on, put all your eggs in one basket and that doesn't concern you at all?

And if you manage to somehow squeeze past the guy(s) coming to take their equipment back (which apparently certain subcultures have started to excel at doing) it's going to ruin your credit and it will be a long time before anyone ever gives you a loan again, that's besides running dealers into the ground which apparently certain low lifes don't seem to mind doing based on the excuse of having to feed the family that's still two wrongs which doesn't make it right.

But y'all who know everything go on already and prove me wrong, let me know how it turns out.

Here, I'll spoil it for you again:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253180
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=392991

Last edited by herler; 12-20-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well you go on and take on payments then have the one job that was so big it took ALL your resources go south on you and see WHO shows up at YOUR door!

[spoiler] REPOMAN! [/spoiler]

And if you manage to somehow squeeze past the guy(s) coming to take their equipment back it's going to ruin your credit and it will be a long time before anyone ever gives you a loan again, that's besides running dealers into the ground which apparently certain low lifes don't seem to mind doing based on the excuse of having to feed the family that's still two wrongs which doesn't make it right.
We just spent 43k on equipment/trucks becuase we picked up a large account, we also hired another guy for 20+k per year. I guess the repo man must have the wrong address
Old 12-20-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with herler. I used a old Craftsman for years. It was not commercial, and I had to double cut all my lawns. Sometimes even 3 or 4 times over. It sucked I wanted a new machine so bad. I new that deep down it would be a mistake. I waited until stuff starting falling apart on the thing. After I could not handle the amount of yards I had to do in a day and I had a stable income, I fixed and sold the old one and got a Scag SFW walk behind. At first I wanted an exmark or toro fixed deck. I was once again letting my emotions get in the way. I realized that you don't need all the fancy stuff on everything. True it has no kawasaki engine, no ecs handles, no flat free front casters. BUT it saved me $700!!!! and it works just fine! Its reliable and gets the job done.

Hope this helps!

pabs
Old 12-20-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I would use the mower on two accounts and also on my residential yards that don't require bagging. As it is now, I am bagging 90% of my yards. Only about 50% of them actually have to be bagged. I would be cutting down on my dump fees and time. Also having a more reliable mower. Nothing like behing in the middle of a yard and having to call it a day and work on a mower. Which in the past few months has been happening quite a bit :/
Encore Premier 36" WB
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabsMaster View Post
I agree with herler. I used a old Craftsman for years. It was not commercial, and I had to double cut all my lawns. Sometimes even 3 or 4 times over. It sucked I wanted a new machine so bad. I new that deep down it would be a mistake. I waited until stuff starting falling apart on the thing. After I could not handle the amount of yards I had to do in a day and I had a stable income, I fixed and sold the old one and got a Scag SFW walk behind. At first I wanted an exmark or toro fixed deck. I was once again letting my emotions get in the way. I realized that you don't need all the fancy stuff on everything. True it has no kawasaki engine, no ecs handles, no flat free front casters. BUT it saved me $700!!!! and it works just fine! Its reliable and gets the job done.

Hope this helps!

pabs
So you lost production because your mower was broken and you think you saved money . To the OP consider trading in your Walker for two larger units. You never said if bagging was required or not. If not consider buying a couple of standers, they have great range from large or small yards allowing you to be more diverse. If bagging I would have to say go with the 52" Z, we like Deere but whoever has the best service is who I would choose.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh for equipment. If I was going to buy a ztr I would go Kohler EFI. If you dont need an x series then the S series would be fine. If you maintain it it will last forever.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

What would classify as "needing" an X series?

I do have a few yards that require bagging. I will keep the Walker regardless. It just needs a little TLC this winter.
Posted via Mobile Device