Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Spring mailers

I plan on sending out approx 100k mailers this spring. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind to chime in on past success or failures. My questions are is it best to have a return post card printed on the original piece. If so should it be postage paid? Also have you offered any discounts on the piece itself. I will be doing every door direct mail so my current customers will be receiving these as well. Also would you add the BBB logo on there? Are multiple runs the way to go? I'd like to add 600 customers so I figure 100k mailer is about right 1% response and a 60% close. Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think it will be about 20 mailing to get them all out.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not talking out how many times I need to mail. I want to know what you feel has and has not worked the best when you do mail. I'm sure you guys have kept track based in number of mailers and what was said on these mailers that made them more successful. That's the info I'm looking for. I'm sure others would appreciate the same.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Need some act now! type stuff on it. Some will put a discount if they sign up by a certain date,or free cut credit at the end of the season.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow. Good for you. Shootin for the moon. I like it.

But my thoughts are that you may see less than 1% response but I would also expect more than a 60% close rate. I don't know of anyone using a return postage paid card these days but do know you need to give them a good reason to call or email you. Call to action.

Multiple hits on the same zip codes and neighborhoods are a must. I'd say at least three hits for each mail route you choose.

Other than that good luck. You're trying to add twice the amount of customers I have now. lol
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is a major investment...I hope it works for you. What is the degree of competitive flyers? Are your flyers high-quality? Great color photographs? Attractive sales proposition? Coupon? Early bird discount? First application free if they also sign up a neighbor? Special deal for present customers--if they sign up a neighbor?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ill pm w more details but publicaly ill say that your biggest issue is going to be handling the call volume. We hovered about 6-7 minutes per call. And the calls never come one at a time. Do the math on reasonably 650 incoming calls over what period of time? If you get better than .66% response, ill pay you to manage my campaigns. And from what I'm told, Scotts would dream of that response too.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
That is a major investment...I hope it works for you. What is the degree of competitive flyers? Are your flyers high-quality? Great color photographs? Attractive sales proposition? Coupon? Early bird discount? First application free if they also sign up a neighbor? Special deal for present customers--if they sign up a neighbor?
It sounds like you have past knowledge on this before. What worked best for you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efficiency View Post
Ill pm w more details but publicaly ill say that your biggest issue is going to be handling the call volume. We hovered about 6-7 minutes per call. And the calls never come one at a time. Do the math on reasonably 650 incoming calls over what period of time? If you get better than .66% response, ill pay you to manage my campaigns. And from what I'm told, Scotts would dream of that response too.

This why I like my answering service, they can take all my calls and email me with the customer info ,
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to work for Tru Green 1982. We got great response -the first time--until we paid all the postage on the incoming cards and discoveredthat 65 of them were fake--bad addresses--and all with the same handwriting. After that we got about 1 percent and we did very well--but--there was hardly any competition at that time. Other comments are just my suggestions from reading marketing articles over the years.
After i started my own company, I did phone soliciting for two years and then used mostly referrals--free app for a sold referral--limit value of $50.

I also ran a contest--answer 6 local history questions and win free aps for a year. Ties determined by drawing. Limit value of $250. And fill out the referral information below; you are rewarded with a free ap if they become a new customer. Mail in your entry today.