Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-22-2013, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The concrete and shelter I have tons of experience doing and am confident on my prices there. The fireplace I will bump the bid up and try to make a solid grand off of. The bar is a kit bar the home owner found and wants. Unfortantly now she knows the price so I can't mark it up like I normally would. However I will take another look at labor on it. Really the only new things I will be doing are the bar and the fireplace which I understand is a big project. The bar is
8' x3'. Material from the kit comes out to about 1500 dollars. I know that there will probably be a couple things here and there that I will need but I should profit 7-800 dollars off it before gas to get there and etc. also what do you guys find best for cutting stone? Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Things that never cease to amaze me:

1) people considering theirselves "contractors", yet they use the term "bid" when referencing residential projects.

2) folks with tons of experience and competency, yet they need assistance.

Hardscaping can bankrupt you in a heartbeat. To make it in the Hardscape biz you need to know production and numbers and accounting. Most guys only last in this biz 3-5 years. Always absorb advice and information shared to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First of all I've openly admitted multiple times I've had little to no hardscape experience. What I did say is that I've had a lot of concrete and construction experience. If you are amazed by people needing assistance then why are you on this forum isn't the point of it to help each other and to ask questions? Also I don't plan on becoming a full time hardscaper just am trying to take advantage of a good situation to learn and expand my skills. I'm sorry for using the word bid would estimate be a better choice? Got me stumped on that one?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What stone are you cutting and how big is it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

its called a belgina tumbled block the dimensions are 6x6" and 6x9"
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Is that a paver? How thick is it? Use a demo saw or table saw if you're a real gangster
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
First of all I've openly admitted multiple times I've had little to no hardscape experience. What I did say is that I've had a lot of concrete and construction experience. If you are amazed by people needing assistance then why are you on this forum isn't the point of it to help each other and to ask questions? Also I don't plan on becoming a full time hardscaper just am trying to take advantage of a good situation to learn and expand my skills. I'm sorry for using the word bid would estimate be a better choice? Got me stumped on that one?
Posted via Mobile Device

My comment(s) is/are derived from Papercutter providing you some good feedback about your prices, as you did ask what folks thought of them. And then you responded that you're confident of your price for a aspect of the project. But earlier you said money wasn't an issue. Then you said you're doing the work for $25 an hr as a learning experience. And then you wanted feedback of your prices!

We all start somewhere And we all continue to learn new stuff

If it's a friend - then just tell them $25 an hour or $200 per day and leave it at that.

I find it to be a pain in the butt working for some friends. I have a friend whom I'm helping with grading such, for free. He said he had an old building cleaned out and ready to be demoed. I get there and it's not cleaned out. With me only available to help him on Sundays - he shoulda had it done so we could rock and roll with what I was there to do for him.

The building required some sawing of the structure. He moaned and groaned about the grunt work and stood there starring at it hoping an easier way would jump out at him. The time he spent standing there looking at it was time ticking away.

I told him he'll need a roll off container, as it will take 3-4 trips to the landfill with my truck. Basically an entire Saturday. I can have a roll off loaded in 2 hrs and be back on my way home. He doesnt seem very willing to pay $450 to $600 for a roll off! By the time he pays the landfill fees and my fuel - it'll be damn close to $450.00.

So - if this is a friend of yours - its best to work for an hourly fee. This way if your friend slips in other features (they always do), or is supposed to help you but spends alotta time yelling at his wife - then you're covered. Friends are not accustomed to productivity. They tire out. They have to check their Facebook every 8 minutes. Just a PITA. And like I said "oh, we decided to add this lighting in here", but they somehwe never ask you how much more it will be! So if they're paying you hourly - then they can add and change things and Facebook all they want.

The term "bid" is what you do with commercial work. You submit a "bid with the intent of being the lowest bidder to land the contract. In the residential market - no one wants to be the lowest bidder. We want to sell quality and all that nice sounding stuff. And you can not sell quality when you're trying to be the lowest.

Why am I here? If you really wanna know - feel free to search my name. You'll find I share more experiences, expertise, knowledge, wisdom, and comedy than you could ever dream of. It's what you WANT to make of it.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand what your saying on a lot of it. Just to clear up one thing what i meant on confident on my price is soley on the "construction" aspect of it. Being the concrete and open air shelter. I also said that i would re look over my prices on the hardscaping stuff. Also on the 25$ an hour that i stated is included in the price with me estimating how much time each phase of the project will take. I would assume that most of you work for a rate that is greater then 25$ which is why i mentioned it is for a family friend in order to keep people off my back about being a lowballer.

I also get what your saying about friend being a PITA but this one will not be helping in any way shape or form. I have taken a lot of time figuring out what my actual cost for all this will be. Then i estimated my amount of time it will take to labor wise. I have since gone back and added one full day to each stage of the project. I also went back and put a 15% mark up on material just in case i run short here and there.

Dually noted on the term bid makes a lot of sense to me and i will keep that in mind for the future.

I have looked through your work and have no doubts that you are very successful at what you do and did not mean any insult to you. You do great work and are defiantly someone i would take advice from.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

On jobs I'm not familiar with i use a generic SF price as a "spell check" after adding up all the materials, labor, markup etc. make sure I'm not way off or leaving $$ on the table.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would not be a bad idea at all i just don't know how i would figure out what to charge per sq foot until i get some experience under my belt?