Register free!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the fireplace going relative to the structure? Assuming the dude at the end of the video is my height, that puts the top of the chimney at around 66". I wouldn't want that venting onto a pergola, and I definitely wouldn't want it venting into a roofed structure.

Without knowing exactly what you're building and how you're finishing everything it's hard to know how far off your numbers are. I know I couldn't be under $5k for a pergola for that size space, $10k for a roofed structure, but if you're confident, have at it. This isn't even saying you're leaving money on the table, this is worrying that you're hosing yourself.

Take DVS's advice and let the client buy the materials and just charge for your labor. I'd bill weekly, too. When you're dealing with unfamiliar products you're going to hit snags, and when you're dealing with Harry Homeowner stuff like that fireplace you often hit huge snags.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will do that and let them purchase material. I'm just roughing numbers because I want to see how close I will come so I know for future work. I appreciate all the advice and am trying my best to let your experience overtake. I have since double checked all my numbers. Thank you Dvs paper cutter And rj
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THought i would update you guys on this project. Starting groundwork next week. Little bit of skid loader work to be done. Have a buddy coming in to do that. My question is he is going to bill me at the end. Is it pretty standard to mark that up say 5-10% and make a little profit or is that not an acceptable thing to do?
Thanks again guys pretty sure you saved my a$$ on this one!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

You didn't already give the customer a price?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well being this is my first hardscaping job i gave them a rough estimate of where it would be. They are paying for all material and i will be billing them out hourly for the work i do. This is what some pretty big contractors like DVS recommended doing and being that ihvae no room to argue I'm going to take his advice on this. It will be a great job for me to get some experience under my belt and learn out how to price things. I have what i think would be a good quote in mind so at the end it will be good to see how close i am. I will be taking detailed notes on each phase of the project so that i can see what went good and what went wrong so i can adjust for future projects. As stated above the client is a fairly good family friend and is fully aware of my situation. I would not just do this with any random client of mine.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Gotcha, based on this situation I wouldn't put anything on it but just about whenever I sub work I do add money to it to make it worth my time. I have to over see the subs and need to be paid for it.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok that makes sense thank you for the response. If you don't mind asking what is a typical cost to add on? do you do it as a % thing or just depends on what the situation is?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't really do it by a percentage, I figure out how much effort I have to put into at and what I need to make off it for it to be worth my while doing and still having a competitive price.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see. Thank you for the info!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Member

If you are using a Firerock or Isokern fireplace shell, you will still need to install a frost free footing. You are way to cheap on your price for the fireplace....especially if you add any type of hearth or mantle. You may want to use an experienced mason to do the stone work. Also check to see how high you need the chimney to be to get adequate venting. Wind and other structures can effect this