Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-18-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just turned in an Imprelis claim today

Got a call from one of my resi customers, stating he recently met with a local arborist about some damage on some white pines. I had not seen damage on his property prior, but I have not been there in 3 months or more (since it is wintertime obviously). Arborist said could be Imprelis, and I looked back in my records and did one Imprelis app May 2011. Unbelievable, that damage is just showing up now from that, if it is indeed Imprelis damage.

At any rate I called it in and started a file. How many of you guys have seen delayed damage like this?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This is the first time I am glad NY is a PITA when it comes to registering products.

I have seen a lot of white pines turning brown around here though, from 6' to 60' and not sure why, I just noticed it about 3 weeks ago, but they look like they are going to die and fast too. Not saying your issue is not Imprellis but there may be something else going on with the white pines because nobody around here had access to Imprellis, I am waiting to hear back from Cornell to see if its my imagination or if something is indeed attacking the white pines.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
This is the first time I am glad NY is a PITA when it comes to registering products.

I have seen a lot of white pines turning brown around here though, from 6' to 60' and not sure why, I just noticed it about 3 weeks ago, but they look like they are going to die and fast too. Not saying your issue is not Imprellis but there may be something else going on with the white pines because nobody around here had access to Imprellis, I am waiting to hear back from Cornell to see if its my imagination or if something is indeed attacking the white pines.
How do you know that nobody had access to Imprellis? Just curious.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
How do you know that nobody had access to Imprellis? Just curious.
First it was never registered in the state....

2nd even if some snuck it in illegally, which would be a HUGE chance to take in this state...the browning/dieback I have seen on white pines was not isolated, I covered about 125 miles of interstate this week and I saw the same issues from one end to the other of my trip....so I would assume that it is something naturally occuring.

Sooo, for it to be Imprellis around here, a whole lot of people would have had to traveled pretty far to go to another state to sneak an illegal (unproven) product back into the state to use...
Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting. It may not be to far fetched to think people in the area had it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
Interesting. It may not be to far fetched to think people in the area had it though.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, it would not. But what I am seeing is widespread and to me that many people taking a chance on using it is far fetched
Old 01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

DA
Sorry for the semi hijacking of your thread. I just wanted to let you know that I am seeing something on white pines that I would not attribute to imprellis
Old 01-18-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

No problem. I did not tell my customer it was definitely Imprelis either. That app was nearly two years ago.
That said, I thought I'd better do due diligence and call DuPont and start a case. They said they are still taking new casefiles as they come in. I don't really like it that the arborist went right to Imprelis and said call your lawn guy. He is just taking a stab, and it is a bit at my expense.

I know one thing if what hit those pines is NOT Imprelis, I at least had nothing to do with it.

What about drought stress?
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 01-19-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow, the arborist took the easy way out and went right to Imprellis from 2 years ago?

I doubt its drought stress, at first glance it looks like salt damage as the tips are browning from the tip in and it is hitting the whole tree not just a branch or leader. If anything it might be too much water, we have had a pretty wet fall/early winter. I was doing my last app in November and the lawns were soggy like it was the beginning of spring.

It didnt jump out at me when I saw the small pines, it became something for me to look into when I saw the large pines with the same issue. And it is across 3 different types of soils as well, clay to loam to sandy loam.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

White pines are very sensitive to salt. It is common to see the white pines and Austrian pines around here to be damaged if they are downwind of the expressway...or even a major road. Plenty of salt used in some years and the salt spray thrown up by cars and trucks carries as a mist downwind. Worse on the windward side of the tree and worse in windy locations. Naturally a hot dry year doesn't help.
One sign of salt spray damage is trees that have no damage below the snow line. Green below and brown above.