Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe his post card didn't look good and catch the eye of prospects?
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLONGLANDSCAPING View Post
That is the worst percentage i have ever seen, and is almost embarrassing. If you sent 100,000 EDDM post cards out, you only got 150 calls? Come on!!!!

I sent out 20k last year and got a 1% return and landed most of those(85%)

100-130 new jobs last year from mailers in spring and fall.
150 calls from 100,000 postcards would be 1.5%. He said .0015%.... that would be 1.5 calls for every 100,000 fliers. I am doing a small EDDM mailing of 2500 in the next week. I am hoping for 1.5% return. 1% would would get me 25 accounts for my first year, I would easily get my money back on that and be sitting pretty for a solo part time outfit.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

My only knock on eddm was that it is sent on a carrier route right?

Well in my town the same carrier delivers to the most expensive homes but also 50-75 duplexes. This was according to the carrier route on the po website. So I'd waste half my mailers.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is the reason eddm is affordable it costs 1/3 as much as regular mail. It's called saturation marketing. You can buy a more targeted list which increases your expense. Then you can mail directly to those owners with a higher cost to mail. Anyone that expects to mail out 2500 eddm pieces and be done for the season with marketing has unrealistic expectations. If the response is extremely high either the piece used was the best ever, the market is under served or the offer was exceptional. If everyone in business picked up 25 accounts with 2500 pieces there would be a lot more competition because it would be easy to grow.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't mean to imlply that my EDDM was all the advertising I am doing. I was referencing other posts on the board that have stated a .5% to 3% ROI is pretty normal for direct mail. If this is true and it plays out like that for me, and I get 25 decent accounts then I may very well be done advertising as I am solo and part time.I am not a low ballet and value my time and want earn a profit. so if it works, then I'm done. if it doesn't, I will keep advertising for more. time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffTurfLawnCare View Post
I didn't mean to imlply that my EDDM was all the advertising I am doing. I was referencing other posts on the board that have stated a .5% to 3% ROI is pretty normal for direct mail. If this is true and it plays out like that for me, and I get 25 decent accounts then I may very well be done advertising as I am solo and part time.I am not a low ballet and value my time and want earn a profit. so if it works, then I'm done. if it doesn't, I will keep advertising for more. time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 percent...never. you clearly work for them on a commission. You just joined and most of your posts are regarding EDDM. lol. obvious.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
3 percent...never. you clearly work for them on a commission. You just joined and most of your posts are regarding EDDM. lol. obvious.
Before you go on attacking someone, get your facts straight. For whom do I work? Its obvious? really? Wow, I didn't think you could tell from my posts that I am a heavy truck mechanic from 6a-2:30p then drive a truck for another company from 3p-8p.

I get nothing from anyone, and certainly no commission. Your a damn fool. Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say you would get 3%. I didn't advertise 3%. I stated that I was referencing other posts (by other members here) who have had experience with direct mail, have seen .5% to 3%. I never said thats what you will get, I implied that others have seen such results. If you are that bent out of shape over that number, then go to the people who said it, not me.

The reason my recent posts are about EDDM, is because thats what I am in the middle of doing right now. I only speak to things I know from experience. Since I am doing what others are trying to do, or thinking about doing I will offer my input. I never said what you should expect for an ROI, I even stated that I could see no ROI, or at most 3% as this is what OTHERS have said.

The reason I didn't say what my experience was, was because I have no experience. I don't post about equipment, because my experience is little. I don't post about running a business because my experience is little. I don't post about a lot of things relate to this industry because I don't have the experience. The only thing I have experience in right now is EDDM and making my own postcards, so thats what I posted about recently.

Why didn't you mention my post about strapping down equipment? I have PLENTY of experience about that and even shared one with the forum that was relevant. Hopefully it convince someone to strap their equipment down. Or my LENGTHY post on credit reporting, scoring, and repair? Again I shared my experience with that as I have been through it. Hopefully someone here will benefit from it.

As many others here are starting new, and on a budget, EDDM is a great way to get their name out for cheap. The thought of bulk mailing is daunting for a new guy because most of us don't know about EDDM. I stumbled upon it, and will try to help some others who may not know about it. I provided a link in another thread discussing this topic. The next post was from a member with 1300 posts who thanked me for the link as it apparently helped him in some way. Was this wrong? I thought we were to help each other...you know, kinda like a community but on the internet....

Finally, every market is different. I know guys that do this full time and don't advertise at all. NONE. These guys are legit, have multiple crews, and still turn down work. Your market may be over saturated. But things are different outside of your bubble that you live in.

I may not have a high post count. I dont have much to add that you guys don't already know. But if I have something that I think may be useful to the community I will share it. I can't be all knowing as you seem to be, nor as pompus as you. But maybe, just maybe, I can help other new guys here with what little info I have.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm doing it, sending out 5K 3rd week of march (thats when i believe the season will start). All 5K are residential homes at or over 150K & within 2 miles of home base.

We'll see how things go, i'm also in the phone book, have a website, FB, and will prob put an add in the paper. Going all in, need some good accounts so like i said we'll see.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 02-27-2013, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezek View Post
Hopefully he put his decimal in the wrong spot and he actually got 1.5%
Nope...I got 30 calls from 20K post cards. Just did another 2,500 2 weeks ago for the first pre-emergent app of the year and got 2 e-mails.

Of those 30 calls from last year we got roughly half. I pre-qualify most clients before even leaving the office to meet with them. Most were wanting services not even listed on the post card. Heck I even had a guy call to ask if we had a tiller for sale!

Remember we are in a market with over 10,000 landscape companies in a 50-80 Square mile radius.

With the EDDM you have a choice to omit commercial sites as well as hand write on the facing slips addresses you want to omit.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You want a higher rate of return a personally addressed letter is more effective than a post card. When we did the intensely time consuming letters we saw rates of return as high as 7% and as whole we signed up lawns at a rate greater then 1%. By the end of our second spring we had sent out probably 7500 letters and had close to 130 accounts from nothing 2 years prior.

The post cards had significantly reduced rates seldom better then 1.5% rate of return and as the years passed and the competition became more intense and the internet more a factor those rates tanked bellow .5%. But they are easier to make and send out and they were cheaper so 6000-8000 a year was normal. And we didn't burn out a 500-700 dollar printer every 24 months.