Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 PM
JLAWNCARE JLAWNCARE is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: FOLSOM PA
Posts: 42
class a cdl test

anybody from pa take the class a cdl test .can i take test in my pick up with my 12000 gvw dumptrailer or do i need to rent tractor trailer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM
DavidsonLandscaping's Avatar
DavidsonLandscaping DavidsonLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lynn, Massachusetts
Posts: 198
in mass, you need the real truck how do you plan on doing the pretrip and break bleed down. also has to be a certain length. you might get a class a with a heavy straight truck but no trailer endorsement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Dountman Dountman is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
Need a truck with a GVW of at least 14,001 to qualify class A with a 12,000 GVW trailer. Without a truck with air brakes you will be given an air brake restriction as well. Do not need TT unless you want air brakes, even then I took mine in a six-wheeler and tag trailer.
__________________
MCLP #1535
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
DavidsonLandscaping's Avatar
DavidsonLandscaping DavidsonLandscaping is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lynn, Massachusetts
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dountman View Post
Need a truck with a GVW of at least 14,001 to qualify class A with a 12,000 GVW trailer. Without a truck with air brakes you will be given an air brake restriction as well. Do not need TT unless you want air brakes, even then I took mine in a six-wheeler and tag trailer.
ive heard about people taking the test with a 6 wheeler and tag trailer, but thought there is a length requirement? but how many "a" trucks are out there without the air brakes that are commonly used? (exempting the air assist)
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Dountman Dountman is online now
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 83
Never heard of the length, it had never been a problem for myself testing wise.

I'd say a good portion of trucks with a gooseneck trailer are class A. Our f-550 rack bodies and 10,000 GVW tag trailer is a pound off from being a class A.
__________________
MCLP #1535
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonLandscaping View Post
ive heard about people taking the test with a 6 wheeler and tag trailer, but thought there is a length requirement? but how many "a" trucks are out there without the air brakes that are commonly used? (exempting the air assist)
Posted via Mobile Device
Class A without air is VERY common. Think about every pickup with a good sized trailer. Especially newer trucks with this GVWR race.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonLandscaping View Post
in mass, you need the real truck how do you plan on doing the pretrip and break bleed down. also has to be a certain length. you might get a class a with a heavy straight truck but no trailer endorsement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your reply here doesn't make any sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,240
Duff can I test in a pickup and 14-16k trailer if it's been over 26k?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Duffster's Avatar
Duffster Duffster is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Duff can I test in a pickup and 14-16k trailer if it's been over 26k?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure I am following your question.

You can test with a 16k GVWR trailer if the PU is over 10k GVWR. 14k trailer if truck over 12k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Not sure I am following your question.

You can test with a 16k GVWR trailer if the PU is over 10k GVWR. 14k trailer if truck over 12k.
Posted via Mobile Device
I didnt know if I had to test with a semi for class a.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 AM.

Page generated in 0.08474 seconds with 9 queries