Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
All the various types of broadleaf Lantana's are prone to mite like insect. For years I thought it was just spider mites but apparently it's some of small sucking insect. I forgot what the growers call it but it can be a problem in greenhouses. Verbena is also insect prone especially it it gets over grown.

The roses are probably not happy about the shade. If those are Knock Outs they are very durable. Most other roses are high maintenance.

"Good Soil" should be organic in nature and not amended loam. I know you guys are doing work on tight margins for those HOA's and your probably doing more then anyone else would be willing to do.

Another issue adding soil can cause is it can create an oxygen cap for the tree roots. This is especially true if the soil added contains any loam since the fine clay particles really hinder the transfer of oxygen in the soil. What can happen is the tree roots start to grow straight up and you start getting lots of tree suckers popping up in the beds. Suckers can also be a problem when tree's are starting to root girdle which is another huge problem.
Thanks that is all good information.....I have been keeping the little tree start cut out. We just bid the install of 13 pallets of sod at $7500. It bid doing everything the correct way using zoysia and soil ammendments and getting permit from city to water the grass since it was zoysia. They said it is just too much try to get it down. My son refused but I reminded him what happened at a condo acct where they got a lower bid for stuff and ended up dumping us for the maintenance. So I put together a bid using St Augustine and no prep and hand watering for 10 days $4995. And gave them option to do the actual install and the watering to get it even lower....we wait to see.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lets see over the winter one of the neighbors along the concrete fence
reported that he was sure we cracked one of the panels. So after looking
at it we finally agreed to replace it. Now when a car runs through it they turn it in to their insurance
Name:  055.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  125.6 KB

Name:  056.jpg
Size:  101.5 KB
This is one of our nicest hotel...that rye grass really does well in some
cases. We could only water once a week over the winter. I had not been to this acct. for 2 years. I used to cut it with a Walker

Name:  064.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  114.9 KB

I make the rounds with my flower juice every two weeks. These pentas
were real small when we got them.

Name:  065.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  109.8 KB

Any body know what this plant is?

Name:  066.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  124.0 KB

And this is what we all look for in Texas....got about 3" over the week end. Look out midwest we are sending big puffy clouds loaded with moisture. So full they dropped some on us

Name:  067.jpg
Size:  42.5 KB
Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That plant is one type of Ruellia or better know as Mexican Petunia. I am on my phone so I cannot really see how big it is but I think it is the dwarf. Can become invassive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-26-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

nice work man
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Lets see over the winter one of the neighbors along the concrete fence
reported that he was sure we cracked one of the panels. So after looking
at it we finally agreed to replace it. Now when a car runs through it they turn it in to their insurance
Attachment 272658

Attachment 272659
This is one of our nicest hotel...that rye grass really does well in some
cases. We could only water once a week over the winter. I had not been to this acct. for 2 years. I used to cut it with a Walker

Attachment 272660

I make the rounds with my flower juice every two weeks. These pentas
were real small when we got them.

Attachment 272661

Any body know what this plant is?

Attachment 272662

And this is what we all look for in Texas....got about 3" over the week end. Look out midwest we are sending big puffy clouds loaded with moisture. So full they dropped some on us

Attachment 272663
Hess, nurseries given you any word why the Pentas are so pitiful in size this year? Was it late cool snaps we got? Ours are very small as well. And they are that way everywhere I look. Also have you noticed annual prices inflated dramatically this year. I also have been a little disappointed with some of our shrubs this year. 2 gallons of potting soil and only 1 gal of roots. Attributed the shrub issues to maybe some mis management at that nursery in fall and winter of last year. Annuals are comming from a different grower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexasProscapesLLC View Post
Hess, nurseries given you any word why the Pentas are so pitiful in size this year? Was it late cool snaps we got? Ours are very small as well. And they are that way everywhere I look. Also have you noticed annual prices inflated dramatically this year. I also have been a little disappointed with some of our shrubs this year. 2 gallons of potting soil and only 1 gal of roots. Attributed the shrub issues to maybe some mis management at that nursery in fall and winter of last year. Annuals are comming from a different grower.
Posted via Mobile Device
We get our flowers at landmark and it is our fault for not ordering them. They grow them on site and if you pay in advance they put them on hold and grow them as big as youwant. I really don't mind them being small it will be a long growing season I will get em there. Our price is still 50cints for the 4" pot. JD is still pretty low.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Makes sense. Don't have any growers "growing to order" like that. Will probably be doing some looking into other sources for color. We aren't getting it that cheap. We are getting them wholesale, but they went up drastically on prices this year to where there is hardly any money to make. There are several nurseries in the New Summerfield (close to Jacksonville) area that I am sure would be glad to supply us for a reasonable price.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just wondering what yall are paying for annuals? I am paying $11.40 for 4" 20 count from the wholesaler or around 10 for 18 count flat from a grower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2013, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am paying anywhere from $9.80 to $13.00 for 4" trays of 18. There are some Sun Coleus that cost me $19.80 per tray. I was really disappointed in my wholesaler on that one. Crap I could do that at a retail spot if they had them. Will be looking for new source on that. Had great dealings last 3 years with that wholesaler, just they left me no room to make any money on those trays this year. I don't like that.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We are paying 9.00 a 12 flat for assorted annuals from our local nursery. Includes petunias, purslane, and periwinkles which is all I really plant anyways. I never have luck with begonias. We are paying 3.00 for quart lantana. We have a great nursery here that I'm happy with. They take good care of us.
For other point of reference:
9.00 3 gallon yaopon and boxwood
14.00 3 gallon KO rose
18.00 3 gallon encore