Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-28-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

pearls premium grass seed?

Customer wants to put this stuff down himself in the spring. He has a mixture of St.augustine and crab grass. He told me that when he does this that he wants me to scalp his lawn with a dull mower blade. Then he will put the seed down. Has anyone had luck with this seed? He says he will have the most beautiful lawn when all done. Input please. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Customer wants to put this stuff down himself in the spring. He has a mixture of St.augustine and crab grass. He told me that when he does this that he wants me to scalp his lawn with a dull mower blade. Then he will put the seed down. Has anyone had luck with this seed? He says he will have the most beautiful lawn when all done. Input please. Thanks
LOL...scalp with a dull mower blade..that's a good one. I don't know why but homeowners seem to be so sold on that stuff. Have you seen how much it costs? Premium is an under statement. I don't have any direct experience with it, but there are some very nice grass seeds you can get a hell of a lot cheaper.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

nice lawn? you will still have the crabgrass growing, and the st. augustine... kill off the old stuff first if he wants this done. keep us posted on this one
Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
He says he will have the most beautiful lawn when all done. Input please. Thanks
Unless he is talking about putting his lawn is a transition zone or a cooler season area I do not think he will be having a lawn anytime soon. From a little website research, I have found out both of their sunny/shady mixtures are essentially Fescue blends which WILL NOT do well here. He might be able to reseed every winter and it may thrive a little for a bit as the mixture does contain some rye and some bluegrass, but come spring through about October that crap is going to look like dead straw in his lawn at best. Let him know that he will not be able to accomplish a lawn four about .05 cents a square foot with this seed but for $1 a square you will install a nice St. Augustine lawn.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.pearlspremium.com/sites/d...-Sunny-Mix.pdf

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Must be a damn yankee from NY. They seem to think they know everything.
I once gave a quote to a fresh damn yankee from NY and they wanted to know what work I would be doing in the summer time when the grass slows down. I laughed at the statement and told them to find some one else to take care of their lawn. I think that they have been through 6 cheapo lawn care people in the past 3 years.
Plant the seed now and let it green up for the next 2 months, watch it die when the temps hit 85 and then sod with SA.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I won't work for New Yorkers either. A lot of them have their summer/weekend cottages here in CT and they're the worst to deal with...make it look good when I'm gonna be here but otherwise do nothing, and no I can't tell you when I'm gonna be there. Ask for a quote to do all sorts of stuff and then freak out at the price. Call up on a Thursday afternoon two months later and ORDER YOU to do everything you'd discussed 2 months ago but for half the price, by Friday evening because they're having a party of course. And the song and dance about being in such a hardship situation with 2 homes to pay for...mind you there's a fleet of jet skis on the beach and a yacht out on the mooring, lol.

Last edited by Darryl G; 01-28-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This customer has money but dose not like to water the lawn much. He told me he has had every pest company in town and none of them do a good job. He will not re-sod. He thinks the new sod would turn bad again years down the road. I told him what he needs to do to have a good St.aug lawn. He looked at me funny and countined talking about pearls premium.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
This customer has money but dose not like to water the lawn much. He told me he has had every pest company in town and none of them do a good job. He will not re-sod. He thinks the new sod would turn bad again years down the road. I told him what he needs to do to have a good St.aug lawn. He looked at me funny and countined talking about pearls premium.
Try to convince him of seeding with Bermuda then as it has a chance of establishing vs the fescue blend he is wanting to use. If he does not listen to you this time and continues to talk about his grass seed....RUN as he simple does not value your opinion and is wasting your time and his. This customer will never pay for extras and at this rate - he will not have a lawn and will not pay you a fair monthly rate , best case he will pay you to mow his weeds/dust bowl in the summer and then tell you he does not need you in the winter and leave you out to dry.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All I need to know about this guy is he admits he has had "every spray company in town"......I'd start running. If that wasn't enough I would politely explain to him if I can't convince him of the basic fact c3 cool season grasses can't be planted as a permanent lawn in Florida, a c4 warm season area.....again I would run, and never look back. This guy is a nightmare.