Register free!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long to have lush lawn

Starting from seed, what would you say it should take to have a well established, lush green lawn?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long to have lush lawn

Two years with aeration and seed twice a year putting down 6 lbs per thousand and 8 treatments a year and watering regularly
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are we talking seashore paspalum? Bermuda? Blue? Rye?
Under near ideal conditions...perennial rye can look really good in 4 to 6 weeks. Top-quality seed, warm soil, lots of water and plenty of fertilizer.
At ideal conditions perennial rye will be 1/4 inch tall at 96 hours.
Bluegrass is a bit slow--sod growers typically allow 18 months to harvest.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lets say it's a mix of rye and blue.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. According to a professor at Michigan State University---whose name I don't recall--anytime you include more than 10 percent rye in a mix with blue...the rapid growth of the rye will cause it to dominate the stand. You will have mainly a perennial ryegrass lawn. But at least it will happen quickly. Ideal conditions mean something like 80 degree soil temp, uniformly moist, well-prepared soil, and starter fertilizer. Perhaps seed lightly buried--about a quarter inch.

Opinions vary--experienced people may chime in.

For instance Pickseed's perennial rye, Cutter II, lists a normal 24 days to first cutting, in their "Technical Product Specifications". Blazer 4...only 21 days...(it is a hydroseeder's favorite).

http://pickseed.com/usa/proTurf/turf/index.html

Of course, if you are laying sod--the green grass is instant. Make agreement to take the customer's check when the job is half complete. In any event...your agreement should state the grass is not his until it is paid for...and you reserve the right to pick it up and lay it elsewhere.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 01-20-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-20-2013, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen a few 'Mature Lawns" lawns in my time , but even fewer "Lush" lawns... People almost ALWAYS compact the soil and create bare spots where the roots Struggle to get air and water...

A lush lawn is possible when the ground is filled with vibrant active grass roots, to the exclusion of everything else...

I know of one Lawn in the area that I'm actually impressed with...
Old 01-21-2013, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just looking for a general idea here. What you think it would take to get an above average lawn established. If you had had average conditions do you think 6 months, 12 months, 18 months or more?

Thanks guys
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1 growing season should do it for cool-season grasses... If you grass comes up the following Spring all filled in w/out bare spots and you take care of it correctly, then you have it for sure... in 1 year....
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I say 6 months if you start in late August in Ohio, have irrigation, top-quality perennial rye and blue mixture, careful soil preparation, perhaps mulch, starter fert according to the results of a soil test, and fert supplemented with a grow-in fert at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, and 12 weeks. Mow early, as mowing at 2 inches encourages the new grass to tiller and grow sideways for thicker results. Early mowing also gets more light down to the soil and encourages the slower growing Kentucky bluegrass with more sunlight.

I am sure the guys that apply hydroseeding have some pictures of lawns that came out beautiful in only a few weeks. How about it Turboguy?

If you are interested in major league baseball field quality, instantly--go with the same sod farm that supplied the nearest baseball field. Costs more--because its better--and weed free.
http://www.cygnetturf.com/
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Starting from seed, what would you say it should take to have a well established, lush green lawn?
If you're starting from scratch, use a slit-seeder and put down a lot of seed! Go crazy! And water water water!

A couple years and you should see good turf.