Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hunter ICC err message help

I have a hunter ICC controler had it for several yrs with no problems today I tired to run it via remote and zone 3 would not turn on looked at the controler and it said 3 err.. I looked in the book and it said bad grd wire i checked both wires going to the sol neither were bad.. the grd wire is hooked up with the other valves. so one grd wire is hooked to more then one valve and no other zone is having this problem..

any ideas what could be the problem? maybe a bad sol.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

More then likely the solenoid has gone bad

What were your steps that you took for you to determine that the 2 wires at the valve were good?

An ohm reading with a multimeter would tell you if the solenoid is shot or not.

If you don't have a meter you could pull the single wire ( Not the common that's hooked up to everything else) and connect that wire to another valve in the box. Then turn on zone 3 and see if that other zone kicks on. This would tell you the valve in question's solenoid is more then likely bad.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i did not take an ohm reading i just looked at the wires and pulled the caps off to make sure they were good also..

what would the ohm reading be? i can just take both wires from the sol and run a ohm reading to see what it is compared to the others?

i could also do what you said that would be to hard...if i had to guess the sol is close to 6-7 yrs old...
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
i did not take an ohm reading i just looked at the wires and pulled the caps off to make sure they were good also..

what would the ohm reading be? i can just take both wires from the sol and run a ohm reading to see what it is compared to the others?

i could also do what you said that would be to hard...if i had to guess the sol is close to 6-7 yrs old...
1-3 ohms short
1 or ol open
20-60 good
>600,000 good insulation v earth
<600,000 direct earth contact
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thank you.. i will test it tomorrow..
Old 01-19-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

O.K, here we go: You have to know how to operate a VOM. : First thing I'd do was to disconnect the common wire from the clock, then connect to the common wire (not the terminal common) with the VOM. You should have 20-60 ohms. Resistance below 20 ohms is a short, so go to the valve and remove the wires, test the resistance there. If the solenoid is acceptable, then a short in the field exists. There is more, but I'd try this first.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tested it today at the control zone 3 has 9.5ohms the rest of the zones have over 30ohms... at the valve zone 3 has 5ohms the rest have almost 30ohms..

could it be the sol or a broken wire? i am thinking the sol is shorted not a wire...
Old 01-20-2013, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I happen to have 2 new sol in my shed so i tested those and they have over 25ohms so it has to be a bad sol...am I right?
Old 01-20-2013, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd be replacing solenoids; it's a good learning curve, and easy. Sometimes, it's ony a crappy connection at the valve, which why it's smart to strip the field wires before testing the solenoid, instead of sticking the VOM probes into the connectors.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i will go ahead and replace the sol and install a new diaphragm i have extra's on hand.. when i did the test at the sol i removed the connector i didnt stick the probe down into it.. i removed it which it broke.. i wanted to make sure i was getting a good connection...

thank you for the help...