Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-21-2013, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Member

yea i love the honda engines myself and i have the honda rear wheel self self propel bagger i use on my own yard you cant kill
Old 01-21-2013, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I usually recommend a hydro walk behind with a sulky as a first mower because they're more versatile and can actually be quicker because you don't have to tip-toe with them to avoid doing turf damage.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a walk behind and it did make me a lot of money and still does. A hydro walk behind is very versatile and my 36in fits through most gates. A zero turn and a good push mower could be a good set up as well just depends on the size lawns your going to be cutting. You will be slightly limited with a 36in walk behind because when you get a slightly bigger lawn it will take a lot longer than with a 52in zero turn.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro walkbehind can do anything. A zero turn can't. Yes, a zero turn can mow way faster on flat properties, but at least for ME and MY properties, a 60 inch turf tracer CANNOT be beat. Can mow the smallest little yards with steep hills and ditches after a heavy rain without tearing anything up. I would get a hydro walk behind and build yourself up before getting a ZTR.

The ONLY reason I have a Lazer is because my personal yard is 6 acres + I mow a couple football fields and a couple large, flat lots behind a couple different commercial properties.

Last edited by ddixon7; 01-21-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like a 48 inch walk behind because it fits between landscape features nicely and I can load it directly into my truck if needed. It will also fit through most gates. The one thing I don't like about a walk behind is if I have to bag with it...I just hate side catchers. I will throw it on either the walk behind or the Lazer if I just have to pick up a little something, but if I'm doing any significant it's the rear vacuum bagger on the Lazer. I only have a few properties that the Lazer gets used exclusively on. On the rest I'll at least cut in around the edges and do any slopes and small areas with the walk behind, then hop on the Lazer for the larger open areas.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I like a 48 inch walk behind because it fits between landscape features nicely and I can load it directly into my truck if needed. It will also fit through most gates. The one thing I don't like about a walk behind is if I have to bag with it...I just hate side catchers. I will throw it on either the walk behind or the Lazer if I just have to pick up a little something, but if I'm doing any significant it's the rear vacuum bagger on the Lazer. I only have a few properties that the Lazer gets used exclusively on. On the rest I'll at least cut in around the edges and do any slopes and small areas with the walk behind, then hop on the Lazer for the larger open areas.
This is exactly what I do with my mowers. Walk the tricky stuff, then let it fly with the Z on the open areas. Obviously you can't have the best of both worlds when just starting out, but walk behinds can everything a Z can, just with less turf impact

PlowSite-SnowFakers