Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-19-2013, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Organic SEO help / advise

i need some help when it comes to seo.

for on page seo.
i have unique content with at least 250 or 300 words per page.
for targeted key words such as "lawn care darien" ect
what should be my keyword density on the page?
what elso should i be doing?

for off page seo.

I am lost.
back links, blog posts, web 2.0, directories, ect i am trying to understand it but i keep getting contradicting information on what is goo and what is bad.(white hat/black hat). i am interested in doing white hat seo.

could you also recommend some good seo books, or forums, or pages
Old 01-20-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Are you actually running ranking reports?

here's what I see for 3 keywords in stamford:

Lawn Service Stamford: 9
Stamford lawn service: 12
lawn service in stamford: 11

Your site looks fine, and it's ranking well for a city with 123k population. You just need to crank up some backlinking to climb up to the top of page 1 - and if you hit a wall in climbing up the rankings, then look at your on page stuff.

Keyword density is almost irrelevant at this point. You need the particular keyword in your page content, but if you put it in too much, then google will penalize you. So, be careful.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
i need some help when it comes to seo.

for on page seo.
i have unique content with at least 250 or 300 words per page.
for targeted key words such as "lawn care darien" ect
what should be my keyword density on the page?
what elso should i be doing?
Not worrying about keyword density would be a good start. If you write naturally, you'll ultimately produce the right mix, and use your keywords where they're appropriate (naturally-written content, Title tags, H tags, etc).

Your blog will also be of help. Write good material and this will really catch the attention of the right people/engines.

I would sweep through your site for grammatical missteps, spelling errors and missing capitalization. From "Your the judge" (should be "You're" and that sentence should be written as reads a bit English as a 2nd language with "Your the judge, we will re-do anything in question for FREE, if our work is not excellent by your standards.") to your Lawn Mowing Service page file being spelled "Lawn-Moing-Service". I also see instances of no spacing between the period ending a sentence and the first letter of the next.

Quote:

for off page seo.

I am lost.
back links, blog posts, web 2.0, directories, ect i am trying to understand it but i keep getting contradicting information on what is goo and what is bad.(white hat/black hat). i am interested in doing white hat seo.

could you also recommend some good seo books, or forums, or pages
I would do some things now, because they can take time, and worry about others while you focus on, and refine, your site. If you hit getlisted.org and run a search of your business, you'll see some immediate areas of need. Creating those citations and The Big Three Local Pages (google, bing, yahoo) will take some time, quite literally, to produce results.

Off-site content production, via blog posts or useful article submissions, can be done as you have time, but really, this should be a situation where you take care of your own house first.

Other recommendations:

- Your Services page's links to the sub-services really shouldn't be launched as new windows.

- To my eyes, the home page presents a lot of information, with little presentation finesse. You give an "About Us" level of information, but the actual About Us page features a thin paragraph.

- Your footer is a textbook example of keyword stuffing.

- You have a stray, gray "Testimonials" in the footer of each page.

- I like the Services page. Easy to read with the content appropriately compartmentalized and drawn attention to. To me, this is the exact opposite of the way your home page presents itself. One is easy to read, the other seems like work, if that makes sense.

- Your meta descriptions look good. When pulled back with organic search results, they provide a compelling reason to click. Your "about us" one could use a bit of reworking. "About Us at Zawadzki Landscaping. Professional's in the lawn care service industry that are fully licensed and insured". I would lose the lead sentence as it will just repeat the name of the search result immediately above it.

- SEO recommendations, each review that gets done here usually has a couple of links to Google and seoMoz's Beginners' Guides, and I'd highly recommend those. If you haven't done so, I'd also set up Google and Bing Webmaster accounts.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Not worrying about keyword density would be a good start. If you write naturally, you'll ultimately produce the right mix, and use your keywords where they're appropriate (naturally-written content, Title tags, H tags, etc).

Your blog will also be of help. Write good material and this will really catch the attention of the right people/engines.

I would sweep through your site for grammatical missteps, spelling errors and missing capitalization. From "Your the judge" (should be "You're" and that sentence should be written as reads a bit English as a 2nd language with "Your the judge, we will re-do anything in question for FREE, if our work is not excellent by your standards.") to your Lawn Mowing Service page file being spelled "Lawn-Moing-Service". I also see instances of no spacing between the period ending a sentence and the first letter of the next.

I would do some things now, because they can take time, and worry about others while you focus on, and refine, your site. If you hit getlisted.org and run a search of your business, you'll see some immediate areas of need. Creating those citations and The Big Three Local Pages (google, bing, yahoo) will take some time, quite literally, to produce results.

Off-site content production, via blog posts or useful article submissions, can be done as you have time, but really, this should be a situation where you take care of your own house first.

Other recommendations:

- Your Services page's links to the sub-services really shouldn't be launched as new windows.

- To my eyes, the home page presents a lot of information, with little presentation finesse. You give an "About Us" level of information, but the actual About Us page features a thin paragraph.

- Your footer is a textbook example of keyword stuffing.

- You have a stray, gray "Testimonials" in the footer of each page.

- I like the Services page. Easy to read with the content appropriately compartmentalized and drawn attention to. To me, this is the exact opposite of the way your home page presents itself. One is easy to read, the other seems like work, if that makes sense.

- Your meta descriptions look good. When pulled back with organic search results, they provide a compelling reason to click. Your "about us" one could use a bit of reworking. "About Us at Zawadzki Landscaping. Professional's in the lawn care service industry that are fully licensed and insured". I would lose the lead sentence as it will just repeat the name of the search result immediately above it.

- SEO recommendations, each review that gets done here usually has a couple of links to Google and seoMoz's Beginners' Guides, and I'd highly recommend those. If you haven't done so, I'd also set up Google and Bing Webmaster accounts.

All of this is spot on, Tony, however I'd argue that not all of it is necessary depending on the results of a competitive analysis.

You don't have to be as good as the guys you're up against. You've just gotta be as good as the guys you have to beat to win it all.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC7 View Post
Keyword density is almost irrelevant at this point. You need the particular keyword in your page content, but if you put it in too much, then google will penalize you. So, be careful.
Everyone repeat this 100 times and then...repeat it 100 more.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Member

we are using seo moz pro.
we are running ranking reports.
and thats about all i get from there reports.

i have to admit English writing is not my strong suite. i have a civil engineering degree. English was useless for me and i struggled with it. i grew up here in the USA but my parents use a second language in the house. they speak english fine but prefer to use polish. I finished 2 years ago to find out there were no more jobs.

we have created goole local and it is verified. bing/yahoo will come next.
i have set up google analytic's and webmaster tools. did not do bing webmaster tools.

i was not sure what to put in the about us page and have not finished that content. working on it

for the testimonials in the footer. i plan on putting a couple testimonials but not sure how to do it.(look wise) if even to do testimonials there.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzys555 View Post
i have to admit English writing is not my strong suite. i have a civil engineering degree. English was useless for me and i struggled with it. i grew up here in the USA but my parents use a second language in the house. they speak english fine but prefer to use polish. I finished 2 years ago to find out there were no more jobs.
I had a hunch, but no worries. Spell checkers catch most of the typos, but grammar is another story. If you need help proofing your site, just let me know when you're done and I'll be happy to do a run through.

Quote:
for the testimonials in the footer. i plan on putting a couple testimonials but not sure how to do it.(look wise) if even to do testimonials there.
With all of the other things you have going on with each page, I would probably just put them on a testimonials page or pepper them throughout the site, maybe via a pull quote style.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since it's important to give Google as many local signals as possible you might want to do a schema.org markup on your address in the footer and put a map on geo-map on your About page.

A great article I just read last night: http://www.quicksprout.com/2012/03/2...ial-marketing/
Old 01-23-2013, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

what would you do to change the home page. to make it look more appealing

done so far
testimonial was taken out of the footer,
services open in the same page.
could you double check to see if i did the address properly via mark up.
working on some local directories.
back links i am not sure how to do