Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2014, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

New to me rig...

I am starting to branch out of my neighborhood this year and also upgraded to a nice ZTR. I got the truck for free...yes, free. It is a 2001 Ford F-150 XLT with a gas guzzling Triton V8. The truck only has 40K miles on it, and was owned by my grandmother, so it's in good shape. Trailer is a 14' Gatormade that I bought yesterday. The trailer seems to be well made and was very well priced compared to others I looked at around the area. Now all I need is for the snow to be gone, my racks for the trailer to get here, and my ZTR to be delivered. I'm ready to go...I mean MOW!
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCowen View Post
I am starting to branch out of my neighborhood this year and also upgraded to a nice ZTR. I got the truck for free...yes, free. It is a 2001 Ford F-150 XLT with a gas guzzling Triton V8. The truck only has 40K miles on it, and was owned by my grandmother, so it's in good shape. Trailer is a 14' Gatormade that I bought yesterday. The trailer seems to be well made and was very well priced compared to others I looked at around the area. Now all I need is for the snow to be gone, my racks for the trailer to get here, and my ZTR to be delivered. I'm ready to go...I mean MOW!
That's a fine looking rig. You can do well with that setup!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-11-2014, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
That's a fine looking rig. You can do well with that setup!
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I'm ready for some warmer weather, this snow & below zero temps is getting old. It also makes putting flyers out a waste of time since nobody is even remotely interested in thinking about that yet. It's been a long few weeks of sitting idle researching stuff and reading threads on here.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Couldnt ever turn down a free truck, and that is a great looking truck at that! Nice rig to start with, it ought to last you a few seasons at least. Be sure to change oil and plugs regularly on that truck. The 5.4 has plenty of power, but it is very temperamental if you miss an oil change or if your plugs go bad. Once again, great looking rig! Can't wait to see it all loaded up!
Integrated Erosion Control and Storm Management

And I'm 19...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan51 View Post
Couldnt ever turn down a free truck, and that is a great looking truck at that! Nice rig to start with, it ought to last you a few seasons at least. Be sure to change oil and plugs regularly on that truck. The 5.4 has plenty of power, but it is very temperamental if you miss an oil change or if your plugs go bad. Once again, great looking rig! Can't wait to see it all loaded up!
Thanks! Yeah it's nearly impossible to pass up a free truck haha. I'm ready to get it loaded up for sure. I had to replace a mirror my sister broke, luckily the local junkyard had one for $10. I also had pull out a few dents she put in it, some of them are to tiny to pull unfortunately. It's a work truck...so things aren't going to be perfect on it. And yeah, that truck is temperamental as hell.

Right now the trailer is parked in my bar, which is the neighborhood watering spot...luckily it's closed for winter due to the cold. The only thing I have left to buy is locks for all the equipment, and trailer itself.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice set-up. Should serve you well.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Nice set-up. Should serve you well.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to using it!
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the spark plugs on that truck, the Tritons had an issue with them seizing into the motor. A long bed is a good thing to have and smart idea going with the 14' trailer, a ZTR walk behind and push mower will fit awesome on that without being too cramped!
Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Those aluminum heads can cease a plug.
Add little this and problem solved
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If your grandmother owned it, it probably sat a lot making it temperatmental. I'd recommend putting a full can of Seafoam in the tank next fillup. Nice rig!
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.