Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Help on lawn for South Carolina?

Hey guys, im new here but I have a question for you guys. I have always struggled to keep my backyard full of grass do to the shade. There is St. Augustine in their right now and I was planning to rip it up and put zoysia down. My neighbor has zoysia in his backyard and it gets almost no sun and it looks absolutely amazing! He is not sure what breed it is so I came here. My backyard gets some light during the day but it could get more. What zoysia is best for South Carolina along the coast?
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are in even partial shade then you only have one choice for zoysia, "El Toro", that's a great grass and i can almost guarantee that's what your neighbor has, but you can only get this as sod and it won't be cheap, you'll just have to shop around for the best price. If you can get full sun then "Emerald" is what i would use.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
If you are in even partial shade then you only have one choice for zoysia, "El Toro", that's a great grass and i can almost guarantee that's what your neighbor has, but you can only get this as sod and it won't be cheap, you'll just have to shop around for the best price. If you can get full sun then "Emerald" is what i would use.
My local super sod carries zenith and emerald zoysia. How is zenith zoysia in a shaded area? Where can I find El Toro zoysia and how much can I expect to pay for a pallet? Im going to buy sod anyways. If I get a picture of his grass, will you be able to tell me what it is?Is El Toro a lot softer than St. Augustine? What about Zeon zoysia?
Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No other zoysia grass except "El Toro" is going to make it in the shade. I can't help you on price, you'll just have to look around. I like "Emerald" specifically because it is the softest zoysia there is, people don't realize how stiff zoysia grass blade's are, but like i said, that grass is for full sun only.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
No other zoysia grass except "El Toro" is going to make it in the shade. I can't help you on price, you'll just have to look around. I like "Emerald" specifically because it is the softest zoysia there is, people don't realize how stiff zoysia grass blade's are, but like i said, that grass is for full sun only.
Ok thanks. Does El Toro need any special precautions for prepping the soil?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's my question, how come you haven't considered palmetto?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Member

I just ordered 2 pallets from Carolina Fresh Farms of palisades (sp) zoysia. Roots down to 2 feet. Very durable and good looking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need to do anything special to lay "El Toro", it has the same requirement's as any other warm season sod, but you do need to water sod immediately after you put it down and keep that soil WET for the first two week's or so, then gradually cut back the water in the following month. You need to keep an eye on your moisture level's after that, it can get hot in SC, but for grass in the shade, it wont dry out as fast.

Try and improve the airflow in your backyard, trim tree's, get rid of undergrowth, air movement is important.

You need to get a soil test, but go ahead and put your sod down now, it will take 4-6 week's for Clemson to get the result's back to you. Unless you have a emergency (you probably won't), put down any soil amendment's in the early fall after it cool's off.

Soil test - http://www.clemson.edu/extension/horticulture/turf/

Understanding a Clemson soil test - http://www.google.com/search?q=under...I_io4APyiIGIBw

NC turffile about zoysia - http://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/turfgr...ysiagrass.aspx

Google search for El Toro zoysia - http://www.google.com/search?q=el+to...I7GPCK_enUS320

If you have any question's, just ask, good luck

Last edited by agrostis; 04-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Here's my question, how come you haven't considered palmetto?
Posted via Mobile Device
I have it right now and it didn't last. Plus I hate the feeling of Palmetto St. Aug
Old 04-16-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out this: http://www.modernturf.com/index.html
They're just outside Columbia in Rembert, SC
They have Zorro which may/maynot be close to the El-Toro. Also, Supersod may carry it in Orangeburg.

That St.Augustine just needs the proper care to be full and flush but if you don't like the texture, the another type may fit you better. Zoysia is a beautiful grass.