Register free!

Old 02-02-2013, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Walk Behind or Zero Turn to start out with?

Okay so here's the deal. I've got $3,000 and need to make a decision on which one to choose. Around here the yards are pretty big usually around an acre or two and you cant find a good sized zero turn for around 3000 you cant find a good 60" for that but can find a 52" which i really woudnt like for 2500-3000 if i did buy one for that i would have no more money to spend on other equipment like weedeater,hedge trimmer etc but on the other hand i can find a really night exmark turf tracer for around 1500-2000 if i bought me a walk behind a would have a 1000 or so to spend on the equipment i would like which would really be nice but then again i think a walk behind would just wear me out working on it mowing yards every day instead of riding a mower. so in the end i dont know if i should get a zero turn or walk behind? opinions??
Old 02-03-2013, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Walkbehind hands down. They are a much more versatile mower. You can mow plenty fast and get plenty done with a walkbehind. I ran walkbehinds exclusively for MANY years. The only reason I have a ZTR is for my own personal yard which is a behemoth and a few commercial properties and a couple football fields. Other than that, a walkbehind is the way to start out my friend. Just put a sulky on her.

On the getting worn out part, I could argue that a rider would put more abuse on you than a walkbehind. Mowing, whether it be ZTR or walkbehind is the most abusive part of lawn maintenance in my opinion. I'd rather walk 25 miles with a backpack blower and a trimmer than mow for 9 solid hours riding a mower. But, a walkbehind with a sulky should be very efficient for you.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Top Quality Lawncare...I live about 8 hrs away from your area but seeing Bowling Green KY brought up a fond memory of your town....3 and 1/2 years ago I worked for a granite company and we installed the cheddars restaurant countertops there.. as we were leaving we were circled by about 3 city vehicles and detained for 4 hours... Bowling Green has some strict working codes, don't subcontract there without the proper license... ok.. sorry for hijacking the thread.... carry on...
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you ddixon7 I believe I'm going to go with a walk behind I don't plan on keeping it for the rest of my life just somthing that will start me out and get the ball rolling thanks for the response
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

i dont know tho because im 6'5 and im sure walk behinds wont fit me comfortably and i will be bending over just to drive the thing
Old 02-03-2013, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are 6'5" you should have some long arms to reach the handles. I've had several tall people work for me. They seemed to have a lot of leverage over the mower. I'm only 5'11" so I can't say from personal experience. Being tall seems to be a disadvantage in lawn care. Mowers and trimmers are all too short... Or at least like they seem like they would be.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

yea they are haha might still go with a walk behind just for this season
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd recommend having a complete set up right away than having a bigger mower with nothing else. You will have a much better idea of what you really need after you have been doing it for a while. You might find that the mower that you really thought you needed is not the best one for you.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hello there if you cutting on that size property I would highly recommend the ZTR. I know you need other equipment . And all means you should get a set up.
If you want I can lend you some old working trimmer.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

An Exmark walk behind with the ECS controls eliminates the problem of having to reach down for the grips. I usually recommend starting out with a walk behind because of their versatility and maneuverability. 2 acres is getting a bit for a walk behind in my opinion though.