Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Bid for next year?

Ok so I get a call from a senior apartments on Tuesday. Set up a meeting for today. I start asking the manager what services they would like done. "Anything to make sure the lawn looks great." I got a big smile on my face and thought to my self "looks like this is going to be a great client." Well just to make sure I asked if they would like fertilizer, pesticide, trimming, spring and fall clean ups, everything. He said yes to everything. Wait, he also wants snow removal. Great. I told him we would be a on weekly cycle. He said no, bi-weekly (red flag) ok well not a problem. Then he told me their contract ends at the end of this season. Whoa- I'm bidding a year ahead? I don't know if this is a good sign or a bad one. Have any of you guys ever been through this?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like they have a champagne taste, but are on a beer budget.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They probably signed a 2 year bid last year, so they are stuck in the contract. To be honest, I wouldnt bid on it if its that far off. Explain to the guy that you would like to bid on it but its so hard to figure costs of fuel, insurance, etc when that kind of stuff is constantly fluctuating. You could bid it now but then something happens and by next spring gas will be $8 a gallon and you're sunk. Thats a long way off.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's called price shopping. He will take your bid if its lower and try and screw his lco on pricing . Been there done that. Start qualifying your leads over the phone, saves time from losers like that.