Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-20-2013, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Known Scag issues

I've always run Exmark Lazer 60's and Toro 500 series 60's. I love the way they cut when the grass was dry. I've had friends / competitors who've run Scag Turf Tiger 60's and they let me play on them. I like the Scags a lot. I've spoke to a Scag dealer and if I'm buying three 27hp Kohler Turf Tigers, he's willing to let me have them for $9,800.00 each. I think that's a pretty good deal. Though, I think I might want to throw a Cheetah in there in place of a Tiger. I plan on doing demo on the Cheetah... and I want to try a 35hp Briggs Tiger also. I'm thinking of making this switch to Scag because the idea of mowing with dew on the grass without clumping is very appealing. Plus, it seems like the hydro pumps on the Exmark and Toros start small drip leaks between 500 and 800 hrs. At about 1400 - 1700 hrs, there's a puddle sitting under the pumps on the concrete every morning when you're loading the trailers. I just spent $1,400.00 for two new hydro pumps on a series 500 Toro last fall. That machine had 1600 hours on it. So, my question is what are the known common issues with the Tigers and the Cheetahs? Most of my Toros / Exmarks had Kohler 23 & 27's and I've had good luck with them. How do the hydro pumps and wheel motors hold up on the Scags? What do you think about the 27hp Scag? Enough power or could use more?

Btw, I stopped by an Exmark dealer Saturday and checked out the new gen x series Lazer 60. It's pretty impressive.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

First off the 27hp tt is a 10mph compared to 12mph for any of the 29hp or larger mowers. I have a 35hp tt and a 27lc kawi tt night and day difference. The 791dfi is a good choice also.

Biggest differences which will affect the tt is: are you willing to grease the mower? Scags need to be greased or you will have issues. If you grease you won't have issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also your quoted price for the mowers seem high for my area. Buying 3 mowers get you fleet pricing. My 35hp tt was $9.3k otd. Scag has promos going on all the time so ask him to see what is the best deal and ask about fleet discounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
Also your quoted price for the mowers seem high for my area. Buying 3 mowers get you fleet pricing. My 35hp tt was $9.3k otd. Scag has promos going on all the time so ask him to see what is the best deal and ask about fleet discounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, here in Northern Virginia, that is fleet price. Maybe I can scream and kick him down another dime or two but that's about it. Original fleet quote from a different dealer was about a grand more for the three.

You've never had any leak problems on your hydros? How many hours do you have on the Tiger?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Well, here in Northern Virginia, that is fleet price. Maybe I can scream and kick him down another dime or two but that's about it. Original fleet quote from a different dealer was about a grand more for the three.

You've never had any leak problems on your hydros? How many hours do you have on the Tiger?
My one tt w27kawi has wet areas but no puddles. Over 4,000 hrs. My 35hp tt has 900hrs, no leaks but a pump replaced under warranty.

You do understand most mfg's use the same pump/motors so changing due to a pump leak wouldn't be a good reason to switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djagusch View Post
My one tt w27kawi has wet areas but no puddles. Over 4,000 hrs. My 35hp tt has 900hrs, no leaks but a pump replaced under warranty.

You do understand most mfg's use the same pump/motors so changing due to a pump leak wouldn't be a good reason to switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
The pumps aren't the main reason - just one of the reasons. I don't know if Scag uses the same pumps as Exmark / Toro but I do know I've had several problems with leaking pumps on my Exmark / Toros but everyone I speak to running a upper tier Scag seems to be leak free for the most part. This is why I'm questioning you so hard on the Tiger hydros and wheel motors.

The other big reason is the clumping I get under wet conditions from my Exmark / Toros. Here in Virginia, it gets very humid. During the summer months, there is always a heavy dew on the morning grass. We have to basically double mow to disperse clippings. I've heard other contractors running Scags rave about the Velocity deck and it's ability to disperse wet clippings.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard stories of people mowing In the rain with no clumping. They are definitely one of the better decks out there. I thought people had issues with the tt and the fact that the deck is shaft driven... Or am I wrong in that?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
I've heard stories of people mowing In the rain with no clumping. They are definitely one of the better decks out there. I thought people had issues with the tt and the fact that the deck is shaft driven... Or am I wrong in that?
Your wrong on that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
One of my buddies had a 1st generation shaft driven Scag. He did have issues with the shaft but to be honest, that was several years ago and I don't remember what the issue was. However, I guess they got that cleared up because you never hear about it anymore and Scag continues to make shaft driven decks without a great outcry from buyers.

All my Toros and Exmarks had 12cc pumps. On the Scag website they're saying the Turf Tiger has 16cc pumps. Maybe it's the pressure of the smaller (exmark) pumps working harder that's causing the issues I've had with these pumps and maybe that's why I don't hear about leaking hydros in Turf Tigers.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
One of my buddies had a 1st generation shaft driven Scag. He did have issues with the shaft but to be honest, that was several years ago and I don't remember what the issue was. However, I guess they got that cleared up because you never hear about it anymore and Scag continues to make shaft driven decks without a great outcry from buyers.

All my Toros and Exmarks had 12cc pumps. On the Scag website they're saying the Turf Tiger has 16cc pumps. Maybe it's the pressure of the smaller (exmark) pumps working harder that's causing the issues I've had with these pumps and maybe that's why I don't hear about leaking hydros in Turf Tigers.
my friend has a turf tiger and only problem he had was with the motor. I think its a 2006 with a 27 kohler. I run a smaller model, the Tiger Cat 27 kawi engine and 61in deck. no complaints. I deal with alot of dew here in south east pa and havent had any problems.