Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-24-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Smile Christmas Lights Installation Mentors

Hi everyone! I am starting a company this season for holiday lighting. I have spent the past several years in ultra-high-end automation and AV systems for the uber rich in the Hamptons and NYC and have recently relocated to the Skaneateles and Syracuse area. I am looking to find some of you that would be willing to show me the ropes and to be a go-to with field questions. I see there are books out there that claim to give all the tips and techniques but they seem pricey and heavily focused on the marketing side of the business. I have very strong sales and PR/marketing skills and don't want to waste my money when there are so many other places to put it before I even make a profit (website, insurance, establishment, workers comp, marketing materials, inventory...)

I'm in a great position to make this happen and have secured some awesome spec locations to get my name out there and practice but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew right out of the gate. I am very dedicated to providing tight installs that don't compete with architecture. I've scoured blogs and tutorials but really need to just chat with some of you pros out there. Anyone willing to walk me through some scenarios? Inquiries like:

Can I show you a picture to brainstorm from?

What is the best way to outline a hexagonal roof going vertically up the ridge on a gazebo?

We get a lot of snow up here, would that make stake lighting a no go in my region?

Power-planning: do you run your empty socket line across say, a dormer, then connect light line as a non-lit interconnect between the next set of empty socket?when custom cutting extension cords do you use light line from the last string(s) to the receptacle?

I love the look of outlining windows and shutters but am not sure how to deal with different types of trim and flashing.

What is your experience with using hot melt on brick, stucco or maybe smooth pillars? Specifically in COLD weather and when it comes time for removal?

What are some things you ALWAYS have in your toolkit?

I realize you will all be very busy very soon and super appreciate any time you can through at this enthusiastic newb.

Jenn
Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
Sponsor

I'm always open to chat. You need some more posts before I can PM you my info.....