Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Vickerman Bow

This Vickerman bow is pretty nice. It has a stiff wire mesh like hardware cloth inside to keep it from contorting. It has grommets for mounting as well. I have no compared it to my CDI bow but the tails look noticeably longer. If the list prices from Vickerman look high talk to Dara. PM me if you don't know who Dara is.

The list price from Vickerman is probably going to end up being closer to your delivered price. Vickerman has been around longer then dirt and it's nice to deal with a company that stands behind their product and doesn't change their sales model or name on a regular basis. Vickerman/Dara & CDI are my main suppliers this year. Having CDI only a little over 200 miles away makes for quick and cheap shipping. CDI doesn't markup their shipping either. Dealing with Tricia at CDI is always quick and easy.
Attached Images

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-31-2013, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Good looking bow. Let us know after the season how it holds up to fading.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCut1 View Post
Good looking bow. Let us know after the season how it holds up to fading.
I'll let you know but I'm sure it will be near perfect. Have you ever seen the Vickerman booth at the Dallas Market Center? They have a year round display you can go look at. The Vickerman catalog is insane. They must have over a 1000 items.

I think it would be great if there was a top 25 list that showed the biggest names in holiday lighting supplies. I find it funny that every company I seem to talk to acts like they are close to being the top dog. Vickerman has never implied this but many others in CO and NE have.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 11-01-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

No, I've never been there. I'm pretty far from Dallas. I'm going to check out Vickerman in the off season. Too busy right now. Maybe I'll make a run up to Dallas.

The bows I bought from CDI last year held up very well. The ones I got from HD the year before faded to pink within a few weeks.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCut1 View Post
No, I've never been there. I'm pretty far from Dallas. I'm going to check out Vickerman in the off season. Too busy right now. Maybe I'll make a run up to Dallas.

The bows I bought from CDI last year held up very well. The ones I got from HD the year before faded to pink within a few weeks.
Back in July they had a holiday event up there that I went to. Atlanta is the biggest show but I don't see myself going that far to a show. I've been using the CDI as well. HD is pretty much only going to be a replacement parts source for me I think. Between CDI and Vickerman I can get just about everything I need. I like working with companies where things stay the same year after year and turmoil is not the norm.

You would think a company would have their supplier send sample ahead of time to put out in the sun or rain to make sure they don't fade or crap out after a rain or two. Profits not quality control as the primary focus tends to get companies in trouble on a regular basis.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure how much HD will direct sell to home owners but I think this is going to be the next fiasco. How pissed are home owners going to be when they buy LED stuff and find out they can't fix it when one bulb failure takes out half a strand on wire frame stuff. When they get told they need to buy the over priced HD Magic Box for $160 and trouble shoot the lights just to change one GD bulb there are going to be some angry people.

I find it very ironic that in 2012 HD did a skit at their annual NE event about the proper way to operate and showed a Joe Blow type idiot character and the wrong way to do things. Then two years later they direct sell to any fool with pocket change. I think to be a fly on the wall in Scott's office and to see what their churn numbers are would be very interesting. I would guess the lifespan of the average member is 2-3 years at best.

BI must be having retention issues as well to be the one who first went to direct sell. Charging $1500 to members only to sell them out a few years later really makes you look like you have a total lack of moral standards. It's all about making money and the hell with operating in good faith with any level of morality.

You could never sell this wire frame stuff at a mass merchandiser because they would RTV truckloads of it back to NE when it fails. I think both NE places are some what painted into a corner where direct selling is a Hail Marry attempt to keep pumping the water out of a sinking ship.

I think quality control on things like powder coating, all sealed LED bulbs, improved metal quality, and better welding have to improve by leaps and bounds for selling wire frame stuff on a large scale to be feasible from a durability and maintenance view point. Profit margin seems to be way higher up on the priority list then quality control and actually working in good faith to do what is good for your end users.

You don't see Decor begging for members and for guys getting started in this line of work that should send you a clear signal that going the traditional route with C7/C9, garland, and wreaths is really the way to go and is easily sustainable.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was in a pinch so I tried some of the C9 warm whites from Seasonal Source sold by a local irrigation supply place. The color look spot on to the Minleon's I like to use. The bulbs were very similar as well.

I knocked out a house in the morning and one in the afternoon as it was getting dark. I finished and turned on the lights to see 16 bulbs out of 220 were a little on the green/pure white side. I know this supply place had an issue last year but I thought it was in the past.

We swap out the bulbs and on the way home I go by the morning job I did hoping for no green lights. Of course at the most difficult spot on the second story there are about 20 bulbs in a row that are green.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Griswold House

I had my camera on the wrong setting but here's a sneak peak at the one Griswold house I do. There a HD snowman on his gate and some other assorted things in the yard.

The custom mounts I had made last year are used on the Santa sled and Reindeer. The 12' tree also has a huge steel plate welded to the base to make it very stable.

All the rules are violated here. We have LED and incandescent and use warm white as well as bright white. We also install a multitude of things the client supplied. The tree in the picture is a Vickerman 12' exterior use LED tree which retailed for $2000. The tree is the most expensive single holiday item I have ever sold.
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

New Install Pictures

Last year I was not able to get many pictures so this year pictures are a major priority.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2013, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first one is beautiful
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff