Crankcase gasket is the only thing different

Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Base cover seal is different too

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
A 3 year warranty. A new starter motor. A new carb with all new linkages and no wear on the shafts or body. I would hope the engine rebuilder would be installing new valves and cutting the seats but who knows...so a new engine would have all of that new.

Also the newer engines have a better system of oiling that upper bushing that seems to be a problem in the older ones where they oiled it through the crankshaft instead of through the block as on the newer versions.
Not sure what an engine builder would get for a rebuild, but as a DIYer, the difference in cost between a rebuild and a new FH680V is enormous. Looks like a rebuild should be able to be done for <$300 parts & labor for a moderate amount of machining, if required. Of course, if the crank or rods are toast, that goes up quickly and changes the cost/benefit ratio. If it came to that, and as bad as the Kaws are, I think I'd buy 2 lesser-model Kohler or Briggs engines for the same $$ and call myself ahead in the long run.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
Not sure what an engine builder would get for a rebuild, but as a DIYer, the difference in cost between a rebuild and a new FH680V is enormous. Looks like a rebuild should be able to be done for <$300 parts & labor for a moderate amount of machining, if required. Of course, if the crank or rods are toast, that goes up quickly and changes the cost/benefit ratio. If it came to that, and as bad as the Kaws are, I think I'd buy 2 lesser-model Kohler or Briggs engines for the same $$ and call myself ahead in the long run.
The going rate for rebuilding a Kawasaki twin cyl is 8 to 10 hours at shop labor rate ...plus parts..
That includes machine work and a 90 day warranty on parts and labor...
Oversizing the cylinders or grinding the crank are generally not worth doing...by the time you add the extra parts and labor involved...
Don't forget about the sales taxes. They add up quick when you get near $1000...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
The going rate for rebuilding a Kawasaki twin cyl is 8 to 10 hours at shop labor rate ...plus parts..
That includes machine work and a 90 day warranty on parts and labor...
Oversizing the cylinders or grinding the crank are generally not worth doing...by the time you add the extra parts and labor involved...
Don't forget about the sales taxes. They add up quick when you get near $1000...
Thanks. That could certainly turn the tables against a rebuild in most cases. Especially for a Kaw (imho, based on the problems I've seen as prevalent)

Since my ZTR isn't being used as a plow this year, I think I'll dive in for a look-see in the next month or so.