Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-20-2015, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark 72" Red Mowers - Stay Away!!

We purchased 3 72" Exmark machines in the spring of 2013 with the 38hp Kohler fuel injected engines. These machines did wonderfully for the first 600 hours with nearly zero hiccups......

Once we hit the 600-700+ hour range we've had problem after problem after problem. Currently 2 of these machines are sitting in a dealer's shop, where they have been since June. Original dealer has supplied us with a demo - however it is no where near the same mower that we purchased (and would rather be using). First dealer never could figure out the issue - I assume... They had the machines "working on them" for June - August. Once they figured out they couldn't fix them they were sent to a second dealer - where they have been since September. The second dealer has said they replaced the engines and fixed the problem - but they can't release them back to us because Kohler won't "OK" it yet.

Our third machine went down and we had to take it in to the shop as well. We took one of our original machines with us when we left, because we had to have something that would move and cut some grass. Keep in mind this machine was said to have been fixed and a brand new engine installed. Crew has been running it but says it has a problem with shutting off - may run fine one day and the next may turn itself off 3 times or more in a day.

Not having your large mowers all season has really slowed progress and the efficiencies that we had developed. Especially when we had one of the rainiest mowing seasons I've ever experienced. We should have went and purchased new machines of a different color and been done with these red ones - but we weren't in a position to do that, and you really can't sell a broken machine very easily.

All the machines are covered under warranty but all you can say about this situation is it is beyond ridiculous. Second dealer we took these to says they've had major problems with every Kohler efi engine they've sold - won't sell them anymore. Exmark rep tells me they've had very little problems overall with these mowers and engine combos. Sounds like someone isn't being 100% honest there.

I won't buy another Exmark.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblc View Post
We purchased 3 72" Exmark machines in the spring of 2013 with the 38hp Kohler fuel injected engines. These machines did wonderfully for the first 600 hours with nearly zero hiccups......

Once we hit the 600-700+ hour range we've had problem after problem after problem. Currently 2 of these machines are sitting in a dealer's shop, where they have been since June. Original dealer has supplied us with a demo - however it is no where near the same mower that we purchased (and would rather be using). First dealer never could figure out the issue - I assume... They had the machines "working on them" for June - August. Once they figured out they couldn't fix them they were sent to a second dealer - where they have been since September. The second dealer has said they replaced the engines and fixed the problem - but they can't release them back to us because Kohler won't "OK" it yet.

Our third machine went down and we had to take it in to the shop as well. We took one of our original machines with us when we left, because we had to have something that would move and cut some grass. Keep in mind this machine was said to have been fixed and a brand new engine installed. Crew has been running it but says it has a problem with shutting off - may run fine one day and the next may turn itself off 3 times or more in a day.

Not having your large mowers all season has really slowed progress and the efficiencies that we had developed. Especially when we had one of the rainiest mowing seasons I've ever experienced. We should have went and purchased new machines of a different color and been done with these red ones - but we weren't in a position to do that, and you really can't sell a broken machine very easily.

All the machines are covered under warranty but all you can say about this situation is it is beyond ridiculous. Second dealer we took these to says they've had major problems with every Kohler efi engine they've sold - won't sell them anymore. Exmark rep tells me they've had very little problems overall with these mowers and engine combos. Sounds like someone isn't being 100% honest there.

I won't buy another Exmark.

Sounds like a Kohler issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2015, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

True....engine issue..... but I bought the machine from an Exmark dealer - not a Kohler dealer....
Old 10-20-2015, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

YEP ... John Deere uses mostly Kawasakis ... try to get Kaw to stand behind them ... NO WAY ... J.D. is Kaw's customer, and it is entirely up to J.D. to honor warranties.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy1 View Post
YEP ... John Deere uses mostly Kawasakis ... try to get Kaw to stand behind them ... NO WAY ... J.D. is Kaw's customer, and it is entirely up to J.D. to honor warranties.
Yeah and that was another selling point to me when I bought my JD. Also the warranty loaner program that JD has which was another selling point.
Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Tracer View Post
Sounds like a Kohler issue.
Posted via Mobile Device
sounds like a dealer issue.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear it man that's just terrible. You think this stuff would fall under lemon law or some kind of law. Probably be surprised that you would win in court and get $$$ for down time / loss of revenue etc etc etc.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Here we are November 5th - all regular season mows are finished. Some leaves are still left to mulch and pick up.

Still haven't gotten our Exmark mowers back.

We have learned one thing from this summer..... never will we buy a red machine again......
Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Just a thought but isnt the warranty supposed to be extended for the amount of time it is in the shop. A least that is what I remember from my new car purchase 10 years ago.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark rep says this new engine will have a new 3 year warranty with it.

But we are tired of messing with them. A "warranty" is not any count when the dealer has multiple machines all summer, literally all summer, "working" on them.