Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

the best rear discharge mower

i have been looking for info on rear discharge mowers. seems grasshopper makes a good one. has anyone had experiences good or bad with a rear discharge deck?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have the 4x grasshopper, only rear discharge i have ever seen actually throw down a pretty cut and ive mowed on alot.. the 4th blade extra over the decks regular blade setup is the key component. Do not get the half and half get the 4x
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the info retro what price range are they
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings of Green LLC View Post
i have been looking for info on rear discharge mowers. seems grasshopper makes a good one. has anyone had experiences good or bad with a rear discharge deck?
Give the Walker Super B with a 52" rear discharge/mulching deck a try. We run two of them and are extremely impress with the cut quality. They also handle hills better than any other rider that we've used. I would recommend the 29 EFI version that I believe are running around $10,600 the last I heard.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Make sure you demo. I found the quality of cut on the grasshopper unacceptable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemower View Post
Give the Walker Super B with a 52" rear discharge/mulching deck a try. We run two of them and are extremely impress with the cut quality. They also handle hills better than any other rider that we've used. I would recommend the 29 EFI version that I believe are running around $10,600 the last I heard.
I I run walkers now ghs 48" just trying to get away from bagging. Love th
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I I run walkers now ghs 48" just trying to get away from bagging. Love th
Posted via Mobile Device
I ran the GHS's for over 25 years and yes they are a great mower if you want to bag... I was in the same boat as you and it just wasn't economical for us to bag any more. We tried side discharging and that didn't go over well at all with our spoiled clients that were use to years of being cut with a GHS. The next step was using mulch kits on our walkbehinds and standers. Worked better than the side discharging but was a slower and more tedious job. When Walker came out with their 52" Rear discharge/mulch combo design we bought one and was absolutely floored at its performance. We couldn't buy another one fast enough. After the success of the MBS we thought that we would give an MB a try. So we bought an MB with the 48" mulch deck and our clients would run out and thank us for bring the "yellow mowers" back on their properties. Little did they know that we were mulching now instead of bagging. The MB 23EFI is one incredible machine. You must demo both the MB and MBS and see what will work for you. The MBS does better if you have larger properties and it will handle taller grass fast. The MB is faster than a GHS but is still better suited on properties under 1-1.5 acres. Both machines are outstanding on hills though I feel the MB handles them better.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It wouldn't't be Ferris.. I looked at a youtube video of there diesel version with rear discharge and it was rough, leaving all kind of clumps and stuff.. Using a Bush hog would looked better than what that mower was doing...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey joe great info! I looked online at the mb and all I can find is side discharge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Hey joe great info! I looked online at the mb and all I can find is side discharge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Kings... Go to the Walker website and look under decks/mulching and chose the ML-48". Here is the link if it works http://www.walkermowers.com/images/curve7.png . You can also find pics the 52" rear discharge/mulching deck there too. As with all of the Walker the MB decks are interchangeable so they can't put up pics for every combination. If you check out some of the latest product videos on YouTube you may be able to see some of the different combinations of decks used on the MB and MBS there. Also they have video of some of the other attachments/implements that you can use on them. If you can't find what you are looking for definitely call you dealer or better yet your distributor and ask them for a demo on exactly what you interested in. They will be happy to do it for you for that is how they make a living.