Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Thanks and I think everything you write (multiple threads, personal emails, lawncaresuccess, etc..) explains everything a business owner needs to be successful. Guarantee success? Of course not, but man it takes A LOT of the guess work and mistakes out of stuff. For example most anyone can get a diploma or college degree (information), but applying that knowledge is something completely different.....
That's the thing that sets owners apart, those who can figure out how to take that knowledge and apply it to the real world. I guess that is one of the many factors in determining success and failure.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2013, 02:02 PM

Thanks for the good word and I agree for sure. I have met, emailed back and forth with, and spoken on the phone with tens of thousands of lawn and landscape business owners.

It is always very obvious who does succeed or who is going to succeed.

There is just something different about them and it is made clear pretty quickly.

They care.
They are serious.
They are willing to work relentlessly.
They recognize that they need help.
They are starving to learn.
They apply once they learn.
They have a vision.
They are convinced if others can do it, so can they.
They do not let things get them down or get in their way.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adams View Post

They care. I meet this
They are serious. I feel like I meet this by doing things right
They are willing to work relentlessly. Ask my wife, friends, & family
They recognize that they need help. Not until recently and only wish I did it sooner
They are starving to learn. Yep
They apply once they learn. might have to re learn a couple times but yes
They have a vision. All the time
They are convinced if others can do it, so can they. Thats what I keep telling myself
They do not let things get them down or get in their way. Probably one of my biggest problems.

Good stuff
Old 01-23-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
Ridiculous is a little harsh. I think the problem lies within what people want to do. Some just love to ride a lawn mower, work outside, and drive their truck, nothing wrong with that.
I fear you have misunderstood me. I agree with everything that Sean said. What I find ridiculous is that a person would allow outside influences such as phone calls, bids and other factors to affect the on the job time like that. I've seen it happen too. Job quality is the number one priority for me with keeping costs as low as possible coming in a very close second.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I fear you have misunderstood me. I agree with everything that Sean said. What I find ridiculous is that a person would allow outside influences such as phone calls, bids and other factors to affect the on the job time like that. I've seen it happen too. Job quality is the number one priority for me with keeping costs as low as possible coming in a very close second.
Ok, no problem. But if you are trying to expand and grow you're phone is going to ring and like I said people like instant responese not a day later. That example was the business owner misusing time, not an employee. I want to be the first to meet and give an estimate to someone. Not let anyone else have a chance. That is why I showed the 2 different mentalities. Serving too many masters, wearing too many hats, etc.... is just problematic. Yes you provide the best quality. But if you can't let others do that you're going to limit yourself, in my opinion. I like mowing grass and mulching properties, but not as much as closing deals and meeting people. Maybe that's what makes me different, I can let others do the work. I can take care of my property to get the landscaping bug taken care of....
Old 01-23-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A good owner/employer knows how to delegate lesser tasks to employees. If my guys were standing for 10 minutes waiting for me to get off the phone something is wrong. Same with the estimate/picking up the mower from the dealer. Utilizing employees to lessen the strain on the owner can happen even if the owner remains in the field. The problem is some people starting a business have these grandiose visions of sitting behind a desk while "their guys" go out and make them money..... after the first year of business
Old 01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Utilizing employees to lessen the strain on the owner
I like this statement the best....

Tags
lawnbusinessreport.com , sean adams , thelawnletter.com