Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Charging for Haul Away

What do you guys out there charge for haul away? Also big planting jobs? Per bush?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have to pay to dump? Or do you have a free spot to haul and dump your landscape debris?

We pay per load at our dump, depending on the exact material. A typical full dump trailer of debris costs us 25.00 to dispose. Partial loads can be 10-15.00. Mixed soil/brush loads may be 40.00...

The customer is invoiced for these charges, which includes time to GO to the dump, cleaning our trucks as a result (our dump location is a filthy disaster) and for the material itself.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense, but I'm not sure why these thread are started. Either you price the job to give one lump sum that includes how much labor and dump fees cost included in the job. Or. You list in your demo -haul away of materials . Per load -$85. If the customer doesn't want to pay this, then you ask them to get quotes on small dumpsters, which is a hell of a lot more than that.

Why you u have to pay to haul their material away? Do you pay for the hair on the floor after a hair cut? Not specifically, but the price of the hair cut includes the clean up the barber has to do after each and every job.

Do you pay for the dumpster rental when your getting an addition? Heck yes! Your contractor put it in his price or directly marks up the dump fees and dumpster rental directly to you.

It's common sense! How much does it cost you to dump, time labor and dump fee's! Them charge whatever that is.

Insured and Licensed
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't have to pay to dump. So I just have to account for the time and gas. Do you do a lot of plant installations? Ornamental grasses, shrubs. How do I go about charging?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always charge a dump fee! As DLONGLANDSCAPING stated its common sense. You're technically working and it does cost you to go to the dump in time and fuel. I typically charge 1 hour labor plus dump fee that i pay at the dump! One thing I have learned since starting my business is that EVERYTHING that I do has a COST! It doesn't matter wether its going to Home Depot or a Garden center or whatever. If you are doing anything related to your business then you are technically working. If its a free estimate and I get the job I try to somehow work that into my price as well. If it costs you then charge accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Earth Landscapes View Post
I don't have to pay to dump. So I just have to account for the time and gas. Do you do a lot of plant installations? Ornamental grasses, shrubs. How do I go about charging?
Posted via Mobile Device
How long does it take you to get to the dump from the job? I charge per trip. I charge 1 hour labor plus dump fee. Since you don't pay a dump fee I would charge an hour labor plus whatever it would cost you in fuel. Just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

What's your labor rate vanderhoff? It'll take me about 15-20 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Factor in gas to your dump site the. Factor in time for you and crew pay per hour to unload it. Just took a load of dirt off of a residential yard and was wondering this same thing. KNOW YOUR NUMBER.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

That's exactly it. I don't wanna loose my tail but I don't want to over price the job either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Member

So if you dont want to lose the job make it a separate line on the invoice that says "Dump Fee" and if they question it or say no do what DLONG said and tell them to rent a dumpster.